Skip to main content

Battle of Atlanta Cyclorama restoration records

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.MSS540

Scope and Content

This collection contains log books, progress reports, a copy of a master's thesis on panoramic paintings, temperature and humidity readings, and dedication ceremony programs and press releases.

Dates

  • 1978-1982

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

Wisconsin veterans of the Battle of Atlanta commissioned a giant painting of the battle in 1885, which they intended to exhibit for profit. Three German painters supervised a staff of fifteen German and Polish artists. They produced a cyclorama that weighed 18,000 pounds, was fifty feet high and 600 feet in circumference. For ten years it traveled with a circus which G. V. Kress of Atlanta, Georgia, purchased in the late 1890s for $2,000. He gave the painting to the City of Atlanta in 1898, along with animals which became the nucleus of the City's zoo collection.

The Cyclorama first hung in an open shed; in 1921 it was placed in the present closed structure and in 1934 the Works Progress Administration added a diorama. Gustav Berger supervised a restoration of the Atlanta Cyclorama building, painting, and diorama which began in 1978 under the auspices of the Historical Conservation Project, Inc. Additional historical information about the Atlanta Cyclorama has not been determined.

Extent

0.63 linear ft. (one full and one half document case)

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1983

Related Archival Materials

Cyclorama Restoration, VA CYC, Kenan Research Center at Atlanta History Center.
Title
Battle of Atlanta Cyclorama restoration records
Author
Sue VerHoef
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040