Henry "Harry" L. Stone papers
Scope and Content
This collection contains the daily schedule for October 9, 1865, of the 40th U. S. Colored Infantry and special orders regarding the accounting of clothing in this infantry and disciplinary action of two officers. Another special order dated August 7, 1863, appoints Stone as the clerk for the headquarters of the Department of the Ohio. Also included is early paper currency from the colony of New York produced in 1776 and the state of Maine produced in 1778. The collection contains a letter written in February 22, 1871 to President Grant from Stone requesting help in finding employment. A letter dated February 1, 1864 from William H. Cranston, mayor of Newport, Rhode Island, to Stone's father details a chance meeting between the mayor and General Ambrose Burnside during which he spoke to Burnside about Stone's conduct.
- Stone, Harry (Henry L.) (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
Henry "Harry" L. Stone served in the Union Army in Company A, of the 50th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He served as a clerk at the headquarters of the Department of the Ohio in 1863 under Major General Ambrose Burnside. He also served as a second lieutenant in Company B, 40th U.S. Colored Infantry. In January 1864, Stone was appointed as captain in Company B, 22nd Regiment of U.S. Colored Infantry. Additional biographical information about Harry L. Stone has not been determined.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
America's Turning Point: Documenting the Civil War Experience in Georgia received support from a Digitizing Historical Records grant awarded to the Atlanta History Center, Georgia Historical Society, Hargrett Rare Book and Manuscript Library, and the Digital Library of Georgia by the National Historical Publications and Records Commission.
This collection was reprocessed in 2012.
- Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885
- Money -- 1770-1780
- Money -- Confederate States of America
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, African American
- United States. Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 22nd (1864-1866)
- United States. Army. Colored Infantry Regiment, 40th (1864-1866)
- United States. Army. Ohio Infantry Regiment, 50th (1862-1865). Company A
- Henry "Harry" L. Stone papers
- Paul Crater
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared According To Dacs
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.