Atlanta Public Library documents
Scope and Content
The Atlanta Public Library records include correspondence and newsclippings documenting the construction of the original library and the commissioning of a marble bust of Andrew Carnegie by sculptor Gaetano Trentanove. The records also include newsclippings regarding the controversy over the decision to demolish the original library building.
- Atlanta Public Library (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Atlanta Public Library was organized in 1899, as an outgrowth of the Young Men's Library Association of Atlanta. A donation from Pittsburgh steel magnate Andrew Carnegie financed the construction of a building located at Forsyth and Carnegie Way, which opened in 1902. This building was demolished in 1977 to permit the construction of new facility. In 1983 the system was renamed the Atlanta-Fulton Public Library.
- Atlanta Public Library documents
- Paul Crater
- June 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.