Mimosa Garden Club scrapbooks
Scope and Content
This collection contains three scrapbooks that document the social and civic activities of the club. The scrapbooks include clippings, yearbooks, and flower show awards and ribbons. One scrapbook is devoted to the club's civic project landscaping the grounds of the Atlanta Speech School's new location on Northside Parkway in 1967. This scrapbook includes landscape drawings by landscape architect, William L. Monroe.
- Mimosa Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Mimosa Garden Club of Atlanta, Georgia, was formed in 1928 to "promote among its members a love for and an intelligent interest in the cultivation of flowers, of gardens and of landscapes, the beautification of its local streets and highways, the encouragement of love of nature and the conservation of plants and trees throughout the State of Georgia. A special object is the development and care of the garden at the Crippled Children's Hospital." The club is governed by elected officers such as president, vice-president, and treasurer. In 1930, the club joined The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. From 1928 to 1959, the club landscaped and maintained the gardens of the Scottish Rite Hospital for Crippled Children (now known as Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish Rite). In 1960, the club began beautifying the grounds of the Atlanta Speech School on Peachtree Road. In 1967, the school moved to a new location on Northside Parkway, and the club raised money to landscape the grounds, enlisting the help of William L. Monroe of Monroe's Landscape Company to design the new garden. In 1972, the club helped establish a new playground at the school as a memorial to the club's founding and early members. Also in 1972, the club began developing and landscaping the Quarry Garden at the Atlanta Historical Society (now known as the Atlanta History Center). The Mary Howard Gilbert Memorial Quarry Garden was dedicated in 1976 and named in honor of one of the club's founding members. The club is still actively involved in the care and improvement of the the Quarry Garden. The club published A Guide to the Quarry Garden describing the quarry garden and its plants. The club has participated and hosted many flower shows, winning numerous awards, as well as participating in Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. conventions and activities.
5.08 linear ft. (three oversize boxes)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was reprocessed in 2014.
- Mimosa Garden Club scrapbooks
- Jennie Oldfield
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.