Skip to main content

Atlanta Cyclorama and Civil War Museum records

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.MSS1103

Scope and Content

This collection contains correspondence, newspapers, reports, and documents pertaining to the Atlanta Cyclorama and Civil War Museum, the history of the Atlanta Campaign of 1864, and the history of the Battle of Atlanta painting. Documents contained within this collection pertain to the maintenance and restoration of the painting as well as operation of the museum. These materials include correspondence between museum executives and conservators, office memos, research, narration scripts, and reports by various conservators from 1984-2006. Other items of particular interest include articles on the Great Locomotive Chase of 1862 as well as materials from the International Panorama and Diorama Society, and the International Panorama Conference of 2007.

Dates

  • 1847-2013, undated
  • Majority of material found within 1963 - 2013

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Battle of Atlanta, commonly called the Atlanta Cyclorama, is a 360-degree panoramic painting depicting the Battle of Atlanta, a key event in the Atlanta Campaign of the Civil War in 1864. The American Panorama Company completed the painting in 1886. In 1898, Florida businessman George V. Gress donated the Atlanta Cyclorama to the City of Atlanta, where it was operated jointly by the Department of Parks and Recreation and the Department of Cultural Affairs. In 1921 a fireproof building was constructed in Grant Park to house the painting, and in 1927 the Texas, one of the locomotives from the Great Locomotive Chase, was added to the museum. The painting underwent its first restoration and the addition of the diorama to the exhibit in 1936. From 1979 to 1981, the painting underwent its second major restoration. In 2015 custody of the Atlanta Cyclorama and the artifacts from the Civil War Museum was transferred to the Atlanta History Center.

Extent

4.71 linear_ft. (six document cases, one half document case, one oversize box, one flat file, and five reel-to-reel recordings)

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff, and oversize materials are listed last.

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

This collection contains five audio recordings on reel-to-reel tapes that have not been converted or digitized. Patrons who wish to access these recordings must pay in full for their digital conversion.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Loan, 2015

Related Archival Materials

Visual material has been separated from the collection and is unprocessed. Please contact an archivist for access to this material.

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2017.
Title
Atlanta Cyclorama and Civil War Museum records
Author
Kelley Warrington
Date
January 2017
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040