Spade and Trowel Garden Club records
Scope and Content
This collection contains clippings, correspondence, flower show programs, minutes, and yearbooks that provide details on the civic and social activities of the club. Also part of the collection are scrapbooks that highlight programs, projects, and club interests. Of special note is a scrapbook devoted to the club's civic project of landscaping the traffic island at Cherokee Road and Andrews Drive.
- 1939-1981, undated
- Spade and Trowel Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Spade and Trowel Garden Club of Atlanta, Georgia, was organized in 1939 to "stimulate the knowledge of native trees, plants, and birds, and the encouragement of civic planting." The club was governed by elected officers such as president, vice president, and treasurer. The club was a member of The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc., the Junior Flower Show Association, and the Atlanta Garden Center. The club supported several civic projects for local hospitals, Sheltering Arms childrens' nurseries, and the Atlanta Historical Society. In 1973 the club began landscaping and maintaining the traffic island, designed by landscape architect Edward Daugherty, at Cherokee Road and Andrews Drive in the Buckhead neighborhood. The club hosted and participated in many flower shows, winning numerous awards.
9.88 linear ft. (one and one half document cases and seven oversize boxes)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, 1979 with subsequent additions
This collection was reprocessed in 2015.
- Buckhead (Atlanta, Ga.) -- History
- Daugherty, Edward L.
- Flower shows -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Gardening -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- Societies, etc.
- Junior Flower Show Association (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Sheltering Arms Association of Day Nurseries (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Spade and Trowel Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Women -- Georgia -- Societies and clubs
- Spade and Trowel Garden Club records
- Jennie Oldfield
- December 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.