De Renne-Callaway book ephemera
Scope and Content
This collection contains documents found in books from the De Renne and Callaway collections of the Cherokee Garden Library. Materials include clippings, correspondence, handwritten notes, articles, offprints, and invoices. Clippings and articles cover a wide range of topics including vegetable growing, botany, history, poetry, and William Shakespeare. In 1970, Callaway Gardens purchased a collection of De Renne books. Correspondence from these books was largely part of Augusta De Renne's (1894-1969) papers. Of special interest are letters to De Renne from several published authors and the Gainesville Garden Club.
- 1891-1966, undated
- Callaway, Virginia Hand (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
0.63 linear ft. (one and one half document cases)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles of books where papers were originally located or by titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, 2005 by Edward C. Callaway, representing Callaway Gardens; previously a long-term loan from 1995-2005 to the Cherokee Garden Library, made by Howard "Bo" Callaway representing Callaway Gardens, in honor of his mother, Virginia Hand Callaway.
This collection was processed in 2017, with subsequent additions.
- Bee culture
- Book collecting -- Georgia
- Botany -- Southern States
- Botany, Medical
- Cooking, American -- Southern style
- Ferns -- Georgia
- Flowers -- History
- Gardens, American -- History
- Gardens, English -- History
- Herb gardening
- Medicinal plants -- Georgia
- Plants -- Folklore
- Plants, Ornamental -- Georgia
- Plants, Ornamental -- Southern States
- Private libraries -- Georgia
- Rare books -- Collectors and collecting -- Georgia
- Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 -- Knowledge -- Botany
- Vegetable gardening -- Southern States
- Wild flowers
- De Renne-Callaway book ephemera
- Jennie Oldfield
- July 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description