Edom T. Moon papers
Scope and Content
This collection contains a series of 24 handwritten narratives by Edom T. Moon, which document the exploits of the 35th Georgia Infantry Regiment in the Civil War. These narratives, which Moon titles "letters," were written sometime between the war's end in 1865 and his death in 1908. Of note is the description of the Battle of Gettysburg in letter 13; the narration of the death and burial of Stonewall Jackson in letter 11; and a copy of the lyrics to the song, "Stonewall Jackson's Way," at the end of letter eight. This collection also contains a photocopy of images of some of the members of the 35th Georgia Infantry Regiment, including Moon.
- 1865-1908, 2000
- Moon, Edom T. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
Edom T. Moon (1845-1908) was born in Walton County, Georgia, to Joseph Moon (1796-1892) and Martha Patsy Jones (1812-1871). In 1861, he joined the Confederate Army as a member of the Walton Sharpshooters in Company G of the 35th Georgia Infantry Regiment. During the Civil War, he fought in the battles at Seven Pines, Chancellorsville, and Gettysburg, and was wounded in 1862. He was promoted to 4th Corporal in the Army in 1864. After the war, he married Elizabeth Webb (1846-1892) in 1866. The pair had nine children: Troy Lee (1868-1961), Martha (1870-1941), Ivennor Lieu (1872-1934), Anna Aura (1876-1960), Mary Gertrude (1881-1973), Mack D. (1883-1910), Jane Maude (1885-1966), Tillie (1887-1939), and Nancy Ziporah (1879-1972). In 1886, after serving as the Justice of Peace, Moon was admitted to the Georgia Bar.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2018.
- Bull Run, 2nd Battle of, Va., 1862
- Cedar Mountain, Battle of, Va., 1862
- Chancellorsville, Battle of, Chancellorsville, Va., 1863
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 35th. Company G
- Fair Oaks, Battle of, Va., 1862
- Georgia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives
- Gettysburg, Battle of, Gettysburg, Pa., 1863
- Hanover, Battle of, Hanover, York County, Pa., 1863
- Harpers Ferry, Battle of, Harpers Ferry, W. Va., 1862
- Jackson, Stonewall
- Petersburg (Va.) -- History -- Siege, 1864-1865
- Richmond (Va.)
- Seven Days' Battles, Va., 1862.
- Spotsylvania Court House, Battle of, Va., 1864
- Wilderness, Battle of the, Va., 1864
- Edom T. Moon papers
- Meredith Jones
- June 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.