Skip to main content

Judith Alexander papers

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS812

Scope and Content

This collection contains correspondence, gallery invitations, newspaper clippings, magazines, catalogues, and photographs of individual artists and their work, in addition to snapshots of gallery interiors and special events.

Dates

  • 1959-1989

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

In 1959, Atlanta-born Judith Alexander opened The New Arts Gallery on Peachtree Street, a landmark venture exhibiting to work of some of the most important modern artists of the time and establishing in its brief existence, the first significant example of a fashionable art gallery in Atlanta. Although beset by financial problems which forced Alexander to close the gallery in 1965, The New Arts could boast of its influence as the center of Atlanta's avante-guard,among artists and literati alike.

Ms. Alexander returned to the Atlanta gallery market in 1976, withthe opening of the Alexander Gallery on E. Paces Ferry Road. The Alexander contributed greatly to the recognition of Georgia Folk Artists Nellie Mae Row, Carlton Garrett, and Mattie Lou O'Kelley, and went on to become one of Atlanta's foremost galleries to champion the Folk Arts Movement of the 1980s. In 1990 the Alexander Gallery was selected to receive the Governor's Award in the Arts.

Judith Alexander is the granddaughter of Julius M. Alexander (MSS 442), daughter of Henry A. Alexander Sr. (MSS 1142) and Marian (Manya) Klein Alexander, neice of Cecil A. Alexander (MSS 24), and cousin of Cecil A. Alexander, Jr (MSS 778).

Extent

1 linear ft. (2 document cases)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged chronologically.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1994
Title
Judith Alexander papers
Author
Finding aid prepared by
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040