Skip to main content

Forsythia Garden Club scrapbook

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.MSS1139

Scope and Content

This collection contains one scrapbook that provides details of the social and civic activities of the club. The scrapbook includes clippings, photographs, program information, and one yearbook. Entries and awards from flower shows are also detailed. Of special interest are sketches of a garden beautification project and signpost along Peachtree Battle Avenue between Woodward Way and Dellwood Drive in the Buckhead neighborhood of Atlanta.

Dates

  • 1949-1950

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Forsythia Garden Club of Atlanta, Georgia, was organized in 1939 to enjoy the study of gardening, become more familiar with flowers, and meet the requirements of membership for The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. (GCA). Admitted to GCA in 1940, the club was governed by elected officers such as president, vice president, and treasurer. The club supported many local organizations such as the Fernbank Forest Association and the Memorial Highway Fund of GCA and was also involved with the Atlanta Garden Center at Rich's Inc. The club hosted and participated in many local flower shows winning numerous awards.

Extent

1.75 linear_ft. (one oversize box)

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 2015

Description Control

The collection was processed in 2018.
Title
Forsythia Garden Club scrapbook
Author
Jennie Oldfield
Date
February 2018
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040