Atanta Law School records
Collection number: ahc.MSS833
Scope and Content
This collection contains commencement exercise programs, annual announcement, bulletins, and annual catalogs of the Atlanta Law School.
- 1887-1994, undated
- Atlanta Law School (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Atlanta Law School was founded in 1890 by four Atlanta attorneys: Hamilton Douglas, Sr., Hooper Alexander, Archibald H. Davis, and Charles A. Read. Hamilton Douglas, Sr. served as the first Dean of the school, followed by his son, Hamilton Douglas, Jr. and Judge Herschel Cole. It was one of the first schools in America to offer night classes. Serving as the city's oldest institution for legal education, many of its students went on to occupy leading positions at the bar, on the bench, and as public servants. By 1988, it had graduated over 6,000 students. Additional historical information about the Atlanta Law School has not been determined.
2.83 linear ft. (one document case and one oversize box)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Atlanta Law School records
- Laura Starratt
- October 2012
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.