Skip to main content

Bulloch Hall deeds

Collection number: ahc.MSS851f

Scope and Content

This collection contains deeds conveying ownership of Bulloch Hall in Roswell, Georgia. Documents start with its transfer from the Bulloch family to the Howell family in 1850 and end with the Wing family's ownership in 1932.


  • 1850-1932


Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

Stephens Bullock (1793-1849), the grandson of Governor Archibald Bulloch and an early settler in Roswell, Georgia, built Bulloch Hall in 1839. Willis Ball, the architect Bulloch hired for the project, designed the house in the Greek Revival style. It was also the childhood home of President Theodore Roosevelt's mother, Martha "Mittie" Bulloch (1835-1884). The house passed from the Bulloch family to the Howell in 1850; to the Wood family in 1872; to the Laurel Mills Manufacturing Company in 1888; to the Roberts family in 1898; and to J. B. Wing 1908. In 1971, Bulloch Hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places and became a historic house museum open to the public. It also became known as one of the three "Southern Trilogy" historic homes in Roswell, Georgia, along with Barrington Hall and the Archibald Smith Plantation Home.


1 folder(s)



Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1998

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2019.

Bulloch Hall deeds
Hallie Lonial
April 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305