Skip to main content

Laurel Mills Manufacturing Company documents

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS866f

Scope and Content

This collection includes three legal documents pertaining to Laurel Mills Manufacturing Company: a memorandum of levels and measurements of water at Laurel Mills dam, and two indentures granting land in Roswell, Georgia, to the company from Eugene H. Wood and Isaac M. Roberts.

Dates

  • 1892-1898, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

James R. King and Thomas E. King established Ivy Mills in 1857 by Jon Vickery Creek near the Roswell Manufacturing Company. Ivy Mills primarily produced wool fabric. In 1864, after the destruction of the mill during the Civil War, another mill was built next to the original site which would later be called Laurel Mill. Empire Mills purchased Ivy Mills in 1871 and the Laurel Mills Manufacturing Company incorporated two years later. In 1877 Laurel Mills purchased Empire Mills. Georgia Power constructed Atlanta's first hydroelectric powerplant, Bull Sluice Dam (later known as Morgan Falls), in 1904, which caused almost constant flooding of Laurel Mills. The mill was eventually abandoned and the machinery sold 1916.

Extent

1 folder(s)

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1998

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2019.
Title
Laurel Mills Manufacturing Company documents
Author
Hallie Lonial
Date
April 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040