Skip to main content

Lewis H. Cottongim Seed Company records

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS905f

Scope and Content

This collection contains an account book providing a history of business and personal finances of Lewis Cottongim and other family members. The book includes lists of seeds sold, income, land sales, rental payments received, records of taxes paid, and other expenses. Also a part of the collection is correspondence between Lewis and his cousin Jack Steely, a realtor in St. Petersburg, Florida, regarding property ownership. Of special interest are details of vegetable and flower seed varieties sold.

Dates

  • 1931-1963

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Lewis H. Cottongim Seed Company was established under the name Cottongim's Seed Store by Henry Pope "H.P." Cottongim (1868-1931) in 1917 on Broad Street, Atlanta, Georgia. H.P. Cottongim and his wife, Clara Ellen Hill, had two sons: Lewis Henderson (1895-1964) and Leonard Tipton (1900-1962). In 1921 Lewis married Ruth Clara Isom (1896-1989) and he became president of the company in 1931. The store sold vegetable and flower seeds, poultry feed, and later added hardware. In 1987, the building was purchased by the Georgia State Department of Industry and Trade and moved to Agrirama (later Georgia Museum of Agriculture & Historic Village) in Tifton, Georgia.

Extent

1.58 linear ft. (one oversize box)

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 2015

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2019.
Title
Lewis H. Cottongim Seed Company records
Author
Allison Maier and Jennie Oldfield
Date
June 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040