South Bend Militia District documents
Scope and Content
This collection contains material about the families who established the South Bend Militia District. The collection includes an account of the Gardner family and their neighbors; copies of newspaper articles and district maps; images of graves, plaques, and aerial shots; and reports on the local families and Orchard Knob Baptist Church. The collection also contains information about the petition to create the South Bend District, including a copy of the petition published in the Atlanta Constitution and background information on the neighborhood.
- 1881-2018, undated
- Gardner, Oscar William (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
In 1881 Samuel M. Taliaferro (1848-1912) and Edward Mobley Taliaferro (1820-1889), then citizens of the Black Hall Militia District, petitioned the state of Georgia to make South Bend a militia district. The land was occupied by Taliaferro and Poole in addition to the Terry, Gardner, Ballard, and McWilliams families. South Bend is located on the southside of Fulton County with its epicenter at the intersection of McWilliams Road and Jonesboro Road. It did not become part of the City of Atlanta until 1947. The new district, officially Militia District #1348, was home to the Orchard Knob Community and the Orchard Knob Baptist Church, which was established in 1903 by Reverend J. E. (Joshua Edward) Daniel (1862-1930).
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2019.
- South Bend Militia District documents
- Emma Jones
- July 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.