Southeastern Fair Association records
Scope and Content
This collection contains material that documents the creation, activities, and dissolution of the Southeastern Fair Association, later called the Atlanta Fair and Exposition Center, Inc. Records include bylaws, charter contracts, lease agreements with the City of Atlanta, meeting minutes, accounts, and other administrative documents that illustrate the structure, function, and operations of the organization. The collection also contains correspondence between various members of the board of directors, their lawyers, and the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce.
- 1915-1978, undated
- Southeastern Fair Association (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Southeastern Fair Association, which later became the Atlanta Fair and Exposition Center, Inc., was chartered on January 13, 1915, in Atlanta, Georgia. The Atlanta Chamber of Commerce sponsored the event as an expansion of the annual Boy's Corn Club show, later called the Georgia 4-H Club, into a large-scale agricultural exposition. They held the event at Lakewood Park, which opened in 1875 as the City of Atlanta's main water source and was redeveloped as a resort area in 1893. The first Southeastern Fair in 1915 was a harvest festival and cattle show, but from 1916 onward the event also included a horse racing track, suffragist demonstrations, a roller coaster, and a large agricultural and farming exhibit. Notable members of the Southeastern Fair Association include Mayor William B. Hartsfield (1890-1971), who was its president from 1962 until his death; and Ivan Allen Sr. (1876-1968) who served as the chairman of the board from 1915 to 1948 and president in 1916. The Southeastern Fair Association was dissolved in 1976.
1.25 linear ft. (three document cases, one oversize folder, and one flat file)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2018.
- 4-H Clubs -- Georgia
- Agricultural exhibitions -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Agriculture -- Georgia
- Agriculture -- Societies, etc.
- Allen, Ivan, 1877-1968
- Atlanta (Ga.). Department of Parks and Recreation
- Atlanta Chamber of Commerce
- Atlanta Fair and Exposition Center, Inc.
- Cattle -- Showing -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Hartsfield, William Berry
- Lakewood Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Livestock exhibitions -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Southeastern Fair Association (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Southeastern Fair Association records
- Hallie Lonial
- February 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.