William W. McKinney papers
Scope and Content
This collection contains greeting cards and postcards, newspaper clippings from The Atlanta Constitution, recipe books, family documents and correspondence, a 1936 Central Night School yearbook,The Modern Knight, a White Provision Co. cookbook, and a Georgia Management Personnel Telephone Directory from 1964.
- 1936-1970, undated
- McKinney, William Wingo (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
William Wingo McKinney (1912-2003) was born in Athens, Georgia, to Daniel Fletcher McKinney (1877-1946) and Laura Elizabeth Wingo McKinney (1884-1972). He was one of five siblings, Alice Glynton McKinney Smith (1903-2001), Marion McKinney Everidge (1908-1988), Ruth Elizabeth McKinney (1917-2013), and Jack Daniel McKinney (1919-1939). McKinney attended Decatur High School and Tech High School from 1930 to 1931 and completed his schooling at Central Night School. In 1940, McKinney graduated from Southern College of Pharmacy at Mercer University with a Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences. He married Jennierae (Jenny Rae) Redding (1914-2015) in 1935. In 1942, McKinney enlisted to serve in World War II. He later worked at Redding's Pharmacy in Decatur, Georgia, owned by his father-in-law James Frank "Doc" Redding, and then opened McKinney's Apothecary in 1952, from which he retired in 1978.
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2019.
- Central Night School (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Cookbooks -- Southern States
- Cooking, American -- Southern style
- Greeting cards
- McKinney family
- McKinney family -- Correspondence
- McKinney, Jennierae Redding
- McKinney, William Wingo
- Pharmacists -- Georgia -- Atlanta.
- Postcards -- Georgia
- Redding's Pharmacy (Decatur, Ga.)
- Report cards -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- School yearbooks -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- White Provision Company (Atlanta, Ga.)
- William W. McKinney papers
- Emma Jones
- July 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.