Skip to main content

Georgia Botanical Society records

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS979

Scope and Content

This collection contains clippings, correspondence, surveys, research, and minutes that provide details on the civic activities of the society. A large amount of material consists of biological surveys of Georgia flora as well as botanical papers and research on native, rare, and endangered plant species in Georgia. In addition, meeting and field trip summaries offer insight into the society's interests and conservation projects. The writings of several members are included such as Marie Mellinger and Charles Seabrook. Publications include manuscript copies of the Atlas of the Vascular Plants of Georgia and The Climbing Vines by Marie Mellinger. Of special interest are clippings and reports documenting the development of the Fulton County Botanical Garden in west Atlanta from 1937 to 1940.

Dates

  • 1893-2007, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Georgia Botanical Society was formed in 1926 by Eugene Schofield Heath (1880-1972) with the original mission to promote the study of botany; to promote a botanical garden for Georgia; to protect and preserve native flora of Georgia; to encourage the use of native Georgia species in landscaping; and to encourage youth to study and practice botany. The society was an invitation-only organization until 1970 when Marie Mellinger (1914-2006) became president and opened membership to all interested persons. The society is governed by elected officers such as president, vice president, and treasurer. One of the society's earliest projects was to help establish the Fulton County Botanical Garden which later closed. In the 1960s, the society also developed the Heritage Garden at the Georgia Executive Mansion. The garden closed in 1975 and the plants were moved to the Swan House Woods at the Atlanta Historical Society (later Atlanta History Center). The Georgia Botanical Society has been active in the conservation and preservation movement in Georgia and fought against the extension of the Blue Ridge Parkway and road construction over Brasstown Bald and Pine Log Mountain. In 1984, the society published the Atlas of the Vascular Flora of Georgia, compiled by Marie Mellinger, based on years of biological surveys completed by society members. The society also publishes an annual journal, Tipularia and offers frequent field trips and wild flower pilgrimages to study natural areas and complete plant inventories.

Extent

15.26 linear ft. (18 document cases and six oversize boxes)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged in three series: I. Administrative, II. Publications, III. Research.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1970, with subsequent additions

Description Control

This collection was reprocessed in 2016, which included absorbing MSS 378, Georgia Botanical Society collection.
Title
Georgia Botanical Society records
Subtitle
ahc.MSS979
Author
Jennie Oldfield
Date
July 2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040