Skip to main content

J. M. Alexander & Company documents

Identifier: ahc.MSS1175

Scope and Content

This collection contains business documents from the J. M. Alexander & Company hardware store. Materials include structural agreements; purchases made by Julia Touro Alexander; and client orders. Also included in the collection is correspondence from Frank Reagan, the company's treasurer, and company receipts. There is also a ledger of tenants recorded by R. B. Mitchell from the early 1890s. The relation of this document to the J. M. Alexander & Company has not been established.


  • 1891-1933, undated


Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

J. M. Alexander & Company hardware store was founded by Julius M. Alexander (1844-1917) in 1870 on Whitehall Street, Atlanta, Georgia. Alexander and his wife Rebecca Ella Solomons Alexander (1854-1938) had three children: Henry A., Cecil A. (1877-1952), and Francis Richards. Cecil Alexander and his wife Julia Touro (1882-1938) had two children: Charlotte (1914-1993) and Cecil Abraham Jr. (1918-2013), an Atlanta architect. The business moved to Forsyth Street and was sold to King Hardware in 1947. Additional historical information about J. M. Alexander & Company has not been determined.


0.206 linear ft. (one half document case)



System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 2012

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2019.
J. M. Alexander & Company documents
Allison Maier
June 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305