Skip to main content

Grady Memorial Hospital Photographs

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS102

Scope and Content

This photograph collection contains images of hospital physicians, nurses, staff, patients, as well as the buildings and grounds of the institution, including Grady Memorial Hospital, the Grady Memorial School of Nursing, and Hughes Spalding Pavilion. Among the images are photographs taken during special events, such as retirement ceremonies, graduations, Christmas parties, and receptions.

Dates

  • 1896-1979, bulk (1950-1970), undated
  • Majority of material found within 1950 - 1970

Creator

General Physical Description note

1591 black and white photographic prints and negatives, and color photographic prints and negatives.

Conditions Governing Access note

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

Grady Memorial Hospital is a public hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, named after Henry W. Grady, a prominent Atlanta newspaper editor, who died in 1889. It is currently the largest in the state of Georgia. The hospital was established to provide health care for low-income families in Atlanta, and has since expanded that mandate to provide emergency care and other services. The hospital opened in 1892 on 36 Butler Street and has changed locations three times, culminating in 1954 when construction began on a new facility located on 80 Butler Street. Grady was initially owned and operated by the City of Atlanta, but since 1945 has been operated by the Fulton/DeKalb Hospital Authority; a voluntary organization that governs the Grady Health Care System. Segregated facilities for patients and the nursing staff became the norm after 1912 and continued to the mid 1960's. For instance, in 1917 the hospital opened a separate training school for African American nurses called the Municipal Training School for Colored Nurses. In 1952, Hughes Spalding Pavilion opened as a private hospital for African American patients treated by African American physicians. The two nursing schools merged in 1964 when Grady Hospital began desegregating its facilities. The Grady Health Care System has expanded to include the Diabetes Detection and Control Center, Georgia Cancer Center for Excellence, Comprehensive Sickle Cell Center, and additional programs and services.

Extent

1591 image(s)

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged in four series: (1) Hospital Activities, (2) Buildings and Grounds, (3) Hughes Spalding Pavilion, and (4) People. The contents in each series are arranged alphabetically.

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements note

Parts of this collection are located in cold storage (CS) as indicated in the descriptive inventory. Patrons must allow 24 hours after retrieval of cold storage item(s) before viewing material.

Immediate Source of Acquisition note

Gift of School of Nursing, Grady Memorial Hospital, 1980 (1980.122)

General Physical Description note

1591 black and white photographic prints and negatives, and color photographic prints and negatives.

Description Control

Collection reprocessed in 2008
Title
Grady Memorial Hospital photographs
Subtitle
An Inventory of Its Photographs at the Kenan Research Center of the Atlanta History Center
Author
Paul Crater
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040