Darlene Roth and Associates Photographs
Scope and Contents of the Records
This collection is comprised of images taken for two separate projects for the city of Atlanta. The first set of photographs include images of Lakewood Park, the site of the annual Southeastern Fair, and other cultural attractions from 1915 to 1976. Among the photographs are images of the interior and exterior of exhibit halls used in the Southeastern Fair, and buildings that housed motion picture companies. Also included are photographs of Lakewood Speedway and remnants of buildings that housed concession services. The purpose of the Lakewood project has not been determined, nor are any of the photographs identified. The second group of photographs were taken around 1984 to document buildings in the Pershing Point area of Atlanta before they were leveled to make way for new construction. Included are images of apartment buildings and businesses such as Pershing Point Apartments, Taylor’s Pharmacy, Muldoon’s Saloon and Cookery, and a restaurant called Butterfield’s. The collection includes both prints and original negatives.
- Roth, Darlene R., 1941-2021 (Person)
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Darlene Roth and Associates was a professional historical consulting business in Atlanta, Georgia. Originally founded as The History Group in 1974, it was one of the first businesses of its kind in the United States. The company offered a broad range of services to clients in the public and private sector such as historical structure surveys, community histories, environmental reviews, and archeology surveys. The name of the organization was changed in the mid-1980s after historian Darlene Roth bought the company. The company was dissolved in 2003.
Arrangement of the Papers
This collection is arranged in three groups, (1) Lakewood Park interior images; (2) Lakewood Park exterior images; and (3) Pershing Point.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Many of the images in this collection are located in cold storage (CS) as indicated in the descriptive inventory. Patrons must allow 24 hours after retrieval of cold storage item(s) before viewing material.
Gift of Darlene Roth, 1989 (1989.282) and 1991
General Physical Description note
Extent: 307 black and white and color photographic prints and negatives
Collection processed in 2006
- Butterfield's (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Darlene Roth and Associates (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Historic preservation -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Lakewood Fairgrounds (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Lakewood Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Lakewood Speedway (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Midtown (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Motion picture industry -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Muldoon's Saloon and Cookery (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Peachtree Road (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Peachtree Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Pershing Point (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Pershing Point Apartments (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Restaurants -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Darlene Roth and Associates Photographs ahc.VIS 110
- An Inventory of Her Photographs at the Kenan Research Center of the Atlanta History Center
- Inventory prepared by Helen Matthews
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.