Berry O. Pyron Photographs
Collection number: ahc.VIS111
Scope and Contents of the Records
This collection is comprised of photographs of downtown Atlanta, Georgia, and include images of Terminal Station, Underground Atlanta, and Loew’s Grand Theatre. Photographs of Terminal Station were taken in 1971 shortly before it closed and include images of the front façade and architectural details. Photographs of Underground At businesses that were in the area. Photographs of Loew’s Grand Theatre were taken on the day it caught fire in 1978 and include images of the fire in progress and the surrounding damage. The collection also includes images of storefronts and small businesses such as the Atlanta Upholstering Shop, and the Zebra Lounge.
- Pyron, Berry Owen (Person)
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Berry O. Pyron (1922-2002) was a physicist at the Georgia Institute of Technology. Mr. Pyron was an Atlanta native and photography enthusiast who recorded the city’s history for posterity. He was married to Amy Collins Pyron.
Arrangement of the Papers
This collection is arranged alphabetical according to titles supplied by staff.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
This collection is located in cold storage (CS) as indicated in the descriptive inventory. Patrons must allow 24 hours after retrieval of cold storage item(s) before viewing material.
Berry O. Pyron gave his photographs to Kathleen Mainland prior to his death in 2002.
Gift of Kathleen Mainland, 2003, (2003.104)
General Physical Description note
Extent: 77 color transparencies
Collection processed in 2007.
- Atlanta Upholstering Shop (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Club Martinique (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Courtland Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Fires -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- 1970-1980
- Loew's Grand Theatre (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Peachtree Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Railroad stations -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Railroads -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Terminal Station (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Underground Atlanta, Inc.
- Zebra Lounge (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Berry O. Pyron Photographs ahc.VIS 111
- An Inventory of His Photographs at the Kenan Research Center of the Atlanta History Center
- Inventory prepared by Paul Crater
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.