Manning, Selvage, and Lee Forward Atlanta Campaign Photographs
Collection number: ahc.VIS113
Scope and Contents of the Records
This collection of public relations photographs contains images of the city of Atlanta that were created for the Forward Atlanta campaign in the late 1960s and early 1970s, and were meant to showcase the city. Some images were probably taken in support of other public relations activities of Bell and Stanton, but are not identified as such. Included are aerial views of downtown Atlanta, Midtown, and the Peachtree Center area, which highlight the city’s skyline and infrastructure. Other photographs include images of landmarks in the metropolitan Atlanta region including Atlanta City Hall, Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium, the Georgia State Capitol building, Grant Park, Stone Mountain, and the Swan House. The collection contains images of shopping centers such as Lenox Mall, Phipps Plaza, and stores and entertainment venues located in Underground Atlanta. In addition, there are photographs of hotels, restaurants, parks, monuments, gardens, and private residences in various Atlanta neighborhoods. The images in this collection were taken by a variety of photographers including Charles M. Rafshoon, Jerome Drown, and Clyde May.
- circa 1960-1970
- Forward Atlanta Commission (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Manning, Selvage and Lee/Atlanta is a public relations firm in Atlanta, Georgia, and operates as a division of Manning, Selvage and Lee, Inc. Manning, Selvage and Lee/Atlanta was established in 1965 as the Atlanta branch of the advertising firm Bell and Stanton. The office was headed by George Goodwin, a Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist for the Atlanta Journal. As Bell and Stanton/Atlanta, the company’s first client was the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce which by 1968 had launched the third phase of its Forward Atlanta campaign to help position the city for national recognition and consideration as a location corporations and government agencies. In its early years, Bell and Stanton/Atlanta also worked on projects with the Atlanta Braves and architect John Portman. Bell and Stanton was absorbed by Manning, Selvage and Lee, Inc. in 1976.
Arrangement of the Papers
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Some of the images in this collection are located in cold storage (cs) as indicated in the descriptive inventory. Patrons must allow 24 hours after retrieval of cold storage item(s) before viewing material.
Gift of Manning, Selvage and Lee, 1987 (1987.158)
General Physical Description note
Extent: 601 black and white and color photographic prints, and color transparencies.
Collection processed in 2007
- Aerial photographs
- Aerial views -- 1960-1970
- American Motor Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Atlanta Braves (Baseball team)
- Atlanta City Hall (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Atlanta Civic Center (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Atlanta Cyclorama (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Atlanta Memorial Arts Center
- Atlanta Municipal Airport (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Atlanta-Fulton County Stadium (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Avondale Estates (Ga.)
- Baseball -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Bel-Air Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Biltmore Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Butler Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Colony Square (Atlanta, Ga.)
- First National Bank of Atlanta
- Five Points (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Fort Walker (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Gardens -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Georgia State Capitol (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Houses -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Hurt Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Hyatt Regency Hotel (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Lenox Square (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Peachtree Center (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Peachtree Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Phipps Plaza (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Rhodes Hall (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Six Flags Over Georgia (Ga.)
- Stone Mountain (Ga.)
- Underground Atlanta, Inc.
- Zoo Atlanta
- Manning, Selvage, and Lee/ Atlanta Forward Atlanta Campaign Photographs ahc.VIS 113
- An Inventory of Their Photographs at the Kenan Research Center of the Atlanta History Center
- Inventory prepared by Paul Crater
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.