J.J. Allen Photographs
Scope and Contents of the Records
Photographer J.J. Allen took these photographs for use in the 1954 Atlanta Historical Society photography contest. The collection is comprised of images of Hapeville and Fairburn, Georgia, municipalities located south of Atlanta. Included are images of churches, schools, businesses, and government facilities such as Bethsadia Baptist Church, Hapeville Methodist Church, North Avenue Public School, the Ford assembly plant, the railroad depot, and city hall in Hapeville. Information regarding each image, including the time of day taken, the camera type used, the lens opening, size and speed can be found on the reverse side. Also, the donor supplied additional information regarding the history and changes to the buildings can be found on the reverse of the photographs.
- Allen, J. J. (Person)
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
J.J. Allen is a professional photographer from Hapeville, Ga. He began his career as a photographer in the early 1950’s and has specialized in commercial and advertising photography as well as portraiture. Since the 1990’s, Allen has operated a studio and published two how-to books on portrait photography.
Arrangement of the Papers
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff
Gift of J. J. Allen, 1954.
General Physical Description note
18 black and white photographic prints
Collection processed in 2006.
- Allen, J. J.
- Automobiles -- 1950-1960
- Baptist churches -- Georgia -- Hapeville
- Bethsadia Baptist Church (Fairburn, Ga.)
- Broadnax family -- Homes and haunts
- Cemeteries -- Georgia -- Hapeville
- Central Avenue (Hapeville, Ga.)
- Chapman Drug Store (Hapeville, Ga.)
- Church buildings -- Georgia
- Electric signs -- 1950-1960
- Fairburn (Ga.)
- Fire stations -- Georgia -- Hapeville
- Ford Motor Company
- Hapeville (Ga.)
- Hapeville (Ga.). Fire Dept.
- Hapeville (Ga.). Police Dept.
- Hapeville Baptist Church (Hapeville, Ga.)
- Hapeville City Hall (Hapeville, Ga.)
- Hapeville Cycle and Key Company (Hapeville, Ga.)
- Hapeville Drug Company (Hapeville, Ga.)
- Hapeville High School (Hapeville, Ga.)
- Hapeville Methodist Church (Hapeville, Ga.)
- Hapeville Presbyterian Church (Hapeville, Ga.)
- High schools -- Georgia
- L. T. Hansard Market (Hapeville, Ga.)
- Methodist church buildings -- Georgia -- Hapeville
- Millers Department Store (Hapeville, Ga.)
- Monuments & memorials -- Georgia -- Hapeville
- Night photographs -- 1950-1960
- North Avenue School (Hapeville, Ga.)
- Presbyterian churches -- Georgia -- Hapeville
- Railroad stations -- Georgia -- Hapeville
- St. Johns Convent (Hapeville, Ga.)
- Water towers -- 1950-1960
- J.J. Allen Photographs, 1954 ahc.VIS 126
- Inventory prepared by Paul Crater
- July 2009
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note