Early Edgewood-Candler Park BiRacial History Project documents
Collection number: ahc.MSS1180
Scope and Content
This collection contains research materials from the Early Edgewood-Candler Park BiRacial History Project. Materials document the history of African American residents in the Edgewood-Candler Park area, such as deeds, city directories, neighborhood histories, and maps. Of particular note are theses written by Georgia State University students and papers about the neighborhood written by the project's founder, Amy Meyer Burns, about the neighborhood.
- 1880-2011, undated
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Early Edgewood-Candler Park BiRacial History Project was established in 2006 by Amy Meyer Burns to commemorate the 1906 Atlanta Race Riot, where a white mob killed at least 25 African Americans. The Project originally focused on the history of Old Stone Church in Candler Park, but it expanded its purpose to increasing awareness of African American history of the Atlanta, Georgia, neighborhoods of Edgewood and Candler Park. Membership projects include researching the neighborhood and the genealogy of early residents as well as placing interpretative Legacy Marker signs at key African American sites.
0.417 linear ft. (one document case and one audio file)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
The Latimore Sisters StoryCorps Interview is available digitally upon request.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2019.
- African Americans -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- History
- Antioch East Baptist Church (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Candler Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Candler Park Civic Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Deeds -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Edgewood (Atlanta, Ga.)
- First Existentialist Church of Atlanta (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Georgia State University
- Historic preservation -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Early Edgewood-Candler Park BiRacial History Project (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
- Burns, Amy Meyer (Person)
- Early Edgewood-Candler Park BiRacial History Project documents
- Allison Maier
- July 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.