Skip to main content

Adams-Cates Company Photographs

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS144

Scope and Contents of the Records

This collection contains aerial photographs produced to assist Adams-Cates Company in the development of commercial real estate in the metropolitan Atlanta area. Aerial views of the cities of Atlanta, College Park, Decatur, East Point, Forest Park, Gainesville, Hapeville, Lithonia, Marietta, Panthersville, Sandy Springs, Smyrna, Stone Mountain, as well as dozens of images of unidentified areas in the metropolitan Atlanta region are contained in the collection. The photographs document the construction of the interstate system around the cities of Atlanta and Decatur, the growth of the skyline of downtown Atlanta, and the largely rural landscape of Cobb, Gwinnett, Douglas, Hall and Newton counties. Included are photographs of the Atlanta Municipal Airport, Fulton County Airport, Peachtree-DeKalb Airport, the General Motors Plant in Doraville, Inman Yard, the Chattahoochee River, East Lake Golf Course, the Farmer’s Market in Forest Park, and numerous shopping centers, neighborhoods, drive-in theaters, and industrial areas.

Dates

  • 1956-1973

Creator

General Physical Description note

327 black and white prints (1 document case and 8 oversized boxes)

Restrictions on Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

Adams-Cates Company is a real estate firm located in Atlanta, Georgia. The company was founded in 1905 as B.M Grant-A.S. Adams Company. Alvin Bingham Cates joined with the company’s founders as a silent partner in 1915, and in 1927 the company was incorporated as Adams-Cates Company. The company had their headquarters in the Hurt Building until 1978 when it relocated to Peachtree Center South. Adams-Cates was absorbed by the San Francisco based Grubb and Ellis, and changed its name to Grubb and Ellis Atlanta in 1991. Grubb and Ellis currently have offices in Buckhead and Marietta, Georgia. The company has been involved in commercial developments in the city of Atlanta, including Peachtree Center, Davison’s Department Store, the Equitable Building, and dozens of office parks and shopping malls throughout the metropolitan region.

Extent

327 image(s)

Arrangement of the Papers

This collection is arranged alphabetical by location

Acquisition Information

Gift of Adams-Cates Realty, 1967 (1967.079); 1978 (1978.305); 1984 (1984.182).

Related Materials

Related materials of the same acquisition include Adams- Cates Company Records, MSS 197.

General Physical Description note

327 black and white prints (1 document case and 8 oversized boxes)

Processing Information

Collection processed in 2007.
Title
Adams-Cates Company Photographs, 1956-1973ahc.VIS 144
Author
Inventory prepared by Paul Crater
Date
July 2009
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040