Skip to main content

Norman F. Bielowicz Photographs

 Collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS150

Scope and Contents of the Records

These images were taken by Norman F. Bielowicz of Decatur, Georgia and depict the fire that occurred on January 30, 1978 at the Loew’s Grand Theatre in Atlanta.

Dates

  • January 30, 1978

Creator

General Physical Description note

5 color transparencies

Restrictions on Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

Biographical information about Norman F. Bielowicz has not been determined.

Loew's Grand Theater was built in 1893 as the DeGive Opera House. It came under the management of Marcus Loew's Theater organization in 1916. In 1932, in order to compete with movie theaters, the Grand was renovated by architect Thomas W. Lamb. The one screen theater had 2088 seats. The theater was the site of the movie premiere of Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind in 1939. Declining attendence in the 1960’s led to its closing in 1977. The abandoned theater caught fire January 30, 1978 and the damage led to the demolition of the historic venue

Extent

5 image(s)

Arrangement of the Papers

This collection is alphabetical according to titles supplied by staff.

Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements

All of the items are located in cold storage (cs) as indicated in the descriptive inventory. Patrons must allow 24 hours after retrieval of cold storage item(s) before viewing material.

Acquisition Information

Gift of Norman F. Bielowicz, 1978 (1978.082).

General Physical Description note

5 color transparencies

Processing Information

Collection processed in 2007.
Title
Norman F. Bielowicz Photographs, January 30, 1978ahc.VIS 150
Author
Inventory prepared by Helen Matthews
Date
August 2009
Language of description
English

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040