Skip to main content

Jo Crawford Phelps Photographs of the Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.VIS161

Scope and Contents of the Records

This collection contains photographs of the exterior of the Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception taken one week after a fire which nearly destroyed the church.

Dates

  • 1982

Creator

Restrictions on Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is the oldest Catholic Church in Atlanta, Georgia. A founding date for the parish (originally called “The Catholic Church”) has not been determined. The original structure was built on the corner of Lloyd Street and Hunter Street in 1848, but since that time, the street names have changed to Central Avenue and Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, respectively. After suffering damage during the Civil War the parish built a new structure at the same location in 1869. The church was renamed on behalf of an oil painting of the Immaculate Conception that was hung behind the altar of the newly built church and dedicated as such in 1873.

Extent

14 image(s)

Language

English

Arrangement of the Papers

This collection is in chronological order according to original film numbering.

Acquisition Information

Gift of Jo Crawford Phelps in a work for hire partnership, 1982.

General Physical Description note

14 black and white negatives

Processing Information

Collection processed in 2007.
Title
Jo Crawford Phelps Photographs of the Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, 1982ahc.VIS 161
Author
Inventory prepared by Paul Crater
Date
August 2009
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
English

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040