Sope Creek Garden Club records
Scope and Content
This collection contains bound scrapbooks and club records such as awards, correspondence, and meeting minutes, detailing the civic and social activities of the Sope Creek Garden Club. Scrapbook materials consist of newspaper clippings, photographs, and flower show awards that illustrate the club's interests and projects. Of special note are scrapbook clippings and images of the Sope Creek historic covered bridge.
- 1955-2012, undated
- Sope Creek Garden Club (Marietta Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Sope Creek Garden Club was founded in 1947 in Marietta, Georgia. The club's mission is to grow plants, shrubs and flowers; to beautify the home, the highways, and roads of the Marietta community; and to enter exhibits in designated flower shows and fairs including the club's own shows. Their first civic project was to help preserve Sope Creek's historic covered bridge on Paper Mill Road in Cobb County. Governed by elected leaders, such as president, vice-president, secretary, and treasurer; the club is affiliated with National Council of State Garden Clubs, Inc., The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc., and the Marietta Council of Garden Clubs, Inc. In 1969 the Sope Creek Garden Club received the Natural Beauty and Conservation Award from the Marietta Cobb County Civic Board of Beautification. The club developed two gardens at McFarlane Nature Park in Marietta and also participates in flower shows.
13.5 linear ft. (two document cases and eight oversize boxes)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2019.
- Chattahoochee River
- Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area (Ga.)
- Covered bridges -- Georgia -- Marietta
- Flower shows -- Georgia -- Marietta
- Garden Club of Georgia.
- Marietta (Ga.) -- History
- Marietta, (Ga.)
- National Council of State Garden Clubs
- Rivers -- Georgia
- Scrapbooks -- Georgia
- Sope Creek (Cobb County, Ga.)
- Sope Creek Garden Club (Marietta Ga.)
- State Botanical Garden of Georgia
- Women -- Georgia -- Societies and clubs
- Sope Creek Garden Club records
- Serena McCracken
- August 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.