Ann E. Lewis Georgia Magazine photograph and postcard collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS230
Scope and Content
This collection contains photographs collected by Ann Lewis during her tenure as editor of Georgia Magazine. Photographs include Georgia state parks and monuments, historic sites, the Georgia coast, golf courses, and scenic vistas including the North Georgia mountains, Stone Mountain, and Callaway Gardens.
- approximately 1906-1970, undated
- Lewis, Ann E. (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Ann E. Hatton (b. 1903) was born in Clinton, South Carolina, to Robert and Eleanor Hatton. She attended Agnes Scott College in Atlanta, Georgia, and graduated from Columbia College in South Carolina in 1922. She was a teacher in North Carolina from 1922 to 1925. She married William W. Lewis of Chester, South Carolina, in September 1925. They lived in Whitmire, South Carolina where she taught and edited several local papers until 1943 when she moved to Atlanta, Georgia, with her husband. Ann and William had five children: William W., Jr. (b. 1926), Ann (1928), Eleanor (b. 1930), Elisabeth (b. 1931), Robert (b. 1933) and ten grandchildren. Upon joining the Atlanta Writers' Club, Ann discovered articles on Georgia were being left out of many prominent publications. Ann started Georgia Magazine, which she owned and operated between 1970 and 1978. During her tenure, Georgia Magazine had subscribers in all fifty states and eleven foreign countries, publishing the work of more than 300 Georgia writers.
301 image(s) (300 photographs and 1 postcard)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2015.
- Amicalola Falls (Ga.)
- Barnsley Gardens (Bartow County, Ga.)
- Barrington Hall (Roswell, Ga.)
- Blue Ridge (Ga.)
- Brunswick (Ga.)
- Callaway Gardens (Pine Mountain, Ga.)
- Conyers (Ga.)
- Cope, Andy
- Dicks Creek Gap (Hiawassee, Ga.)
- Flint River Ferry (Marshallville, Ga.)
- Fort Hawkins (Ga.)
- Georgia Magazine (Firm)
- Golden Isles (Ga.)
- Jekyll Island (Ga.)
- Johnston-Felton-Hay House (Macon, Ga.)
- Kingwood Country Club & Resort (Clayton, Ga.)
- Ocmulgee National Monument (Ga.)
- Okefenokee Swamp (Ga. and Fla.)
- Radium Springs Gardens (Albany, Ga.)
- Saint Simons Island (Ga.)
- Savannah (Ga.)
- Stone Mountain (Ga.)
- Stone Mountain Memorial State Park (Ga.)
- Anne E. Lewis "Georgia Magazine" photograph and postcard collection
- Rose Marie Kimbell and Carla Ledgerwood
- June 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.