Green Thumb Garden Club photographs
Scope and Content
This collection contains photographs and slides that provide details of the social and civic activities of the club. Images include flower arrangements and flower show displays, vegetable crops in the Tullie Smith House (later Smith Family Farm) garden, and members at club meetings. Of special interest are images of the courtyard garden at the Haven Home, as well as members helping residents with garden therapy projects.
- approximately 1954-1976
- Green Thumb Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
The Green Thumb Garden Club of Atlanta, Georgia, was organized in 1948 with thirty charter members. The club is a member of The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc., the National Council of State Garden Clubs, Inc., and the Fulton County Federation of Garden Clubs. The club is governed by a board of officers elected by members, including president and vice-president. The club has hosted and participated in many local flower shows and festivals. Several long term community projects have been supported by the club such as the Fulton County Almshouse Haven Home, the Fairhaven School, and the field crops garden of the Tullie Smith House at the Atlanta History Center. The club has also been involved with the HANDS (Home and Neighborhood Development Sponsors) community program for Fulton County.
219 image(s) (116 color negatives, 68 color photographs, 18 color transparencies, 17 black and white photographs)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Some items in this collection are located in cold storage (CS) as indicated by the descriptive inventory. Patrons must allow 24 hours after retrieval of item(s) before viewing material.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2017.
- Almshouses -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Dolls -- Collectors and collecting
- Flower arrangement -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Flower shows -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Food crops -- Georgia
- Gardening -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- Societies, etc.
- Green Thumb Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Haven Home (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Tullie Smith House (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Vegetable gardening -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Women -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- Societies and clubs
- Green Thumb Garden Club photographs
- Jennie Oldfield
- September 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.