Jessie Boynton photographs
Collection number: ahc.VIS288
Scope and Content
This collection contains images of the Fulton County Alms Home for African Americans; Fulton County Alms Haven Home; Boynton's farm house; and a photograph of Jessie Lee Clark.
- Boynton, Jessie Early Clark (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Jessie Lee Clark Boynton (1902-1980) was born in Tampa, Florida. Her first husband was Henry C. Clark, who served as the second superintendent of the Fulton County Alms
Home for the Colored, a facility for African American tenets (later became Arts and Crafts Center at Chastain Park) and the Fulton County Alms Haven Home (later named Galloway School). They lived on the second floor of the Alms Home and had five children. In 1932, Henry Clark died and Jessie Clark successfully petitioned Fulton County to take his place as superintendent. She remarried several years later to her second husband Charles F. Boynton. Charles Boynton was a night superintendent for the Alms Home. From 1932 to 1963, Jessie Boynton served as the director of the facility. Her achievements included instituting recreational programs for the elderly, supervising the women prisoners who performed domestic work at the Almshouse, and pioneering efforts at prison reform.
12 image(s) (10 black and white copy negatives and two sepia tone photographic prints)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
VIS 288 was previously cataloged as BOY.
The collection was reprocessed in 2018.
- African Americans -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Almshouses -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Chastain Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Chastain Park Arts and Craft Center (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Fulton County Alms Home for the Colored (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Fulton County Alms House (Fulton County, Ga.)
- Fulton County Haven Home (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Galloway School (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Segregation -- Georgia
- Segregation -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Segregation -- Georgia -- Fulton County
- Women -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Jessie Boynton photographs
- In Process
- Felicia D. Render
- April 2018
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script