African American visual arts collection
Collection number: ahc.VIS68
Scope and Content
This collection contains various types of visual images, including photographs, lithoghraphs, posters, and prints from periodicals, pertaining to African Americans. Included in the collection are stereotypical racist pictures and postcards; photographs of African Americans working as domestics, agricultural laborers, musicians, streetcar conductors, etc.; portraits of African American women, men, and children; prints depicting significant events, such as the Fort Pillow Massacre and the Atlanta race riots of 1906, and people, such as Booker T. Washington and John Brown; and photographs of African American neighborhoods, housing, and institutions.
- 1860-1957, undated
- Condon, Linnie, 1844-1909 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
This collection was processed in 2013.
- African American agricultural laborers
- African American businesspeople -- Georgia
- African American businesspeople -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- African American children -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- African American construction workers
- African American families -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- African American farmers
- African American nurses
- African American photographers
- African American prisoners -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- African American sculpture
- African American women -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- African American women artists
- African Americans -- Caricatures and cartoons
- African Americans -- Clothing -- Georgia
- African Americans -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Blackshear of Macon, photography
- Brown, John
- C.W. Motes (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Cotton States Exposition (1895 : Atlanta, Ga.)
- Cotton pickers
- Emancipation Proclamation
- Fort Pillow, Battle of, Tenn., 1864
- Hartsfield, William Berry
- Herndon, Alonzo, 1858-
- Jackson, James M.
- Kelly, Andrew T.
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Fiction
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 -- Assassination
- McKinley, William
- McQueen, Butterfly
- Morrison, Hal
- Redden & Vickery, photographers
- Simon, Jewel W.
- Tuskegee Institute
- Washington, Booker T.
- Wolcott, Marion Post
- African American visual arts collection
- Josh Hogan
- March 2013
- Description rules
- Language of description
- Finding aid is written in English.