Atlanta Housing Authority photographs
Scope and Contents of the Records
This collection contains images of substandard housing areas to be cleared for the Capitol, Hope, Grady and Herndon Housing Projects. It also contains images of the Aux Coal Storage Bins and a civil defense unit based at Techwood Homes. The images in this collection were created to document living conditions in these areas prior to their demolition. A key to the photographs’ geographical locations is also stored with this collection. The key includes the project names, their geographical finding number, the number of units in the project, the year and the name and contact information of the manager and superintendent of each project. The captions on the back side of each photograph were added by the Atlanta Housing Authority.
- circa 1940
- Atlanta Housing Authority (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
The New Deal inaugurated the first urban public housing developments in Atlanta. In 1934, land was cleared to build Techwood Homes near the campus of Georgia Tech University and University Homes close to Atlanta University and Clark, Morehouse, Morris Brown, and Spelman Colleges. The Atlanta Housing Authority was established in 1938 to eliminate the city’s substandard housing. Johns R. Hope Homes, State Capital Homes, Alonzo F. Herndon Homes, Henry Grady Homes, Clark Howell Homes and John J. Eagan Homes were the six slum clearance and re-housing developments proposed. The Atlanta Housing Authority is organized under Georgia law to develop, acquire, lease and operate affordable housing for low-income families. Today, AHA is the largest housing agency in Georgia and one of the largest in the nation.
Arrangement of the Papers
This collection is arranged alphabetical according to titles supplied by staff.
Gift of Louis J. Rickman, 1967 (1967.080)
General Physical Description note
Extent: 146 black and white photographic prints
Collection processed in 2005
- Advertising -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- African Americans -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Automobiles -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Bearcat Obie's Cafe (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Chapel Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Connally Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Craven Alley (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Davis Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Fair Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Fraser Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Gemunden Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Greensferry Avenue (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Humphries Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- John R. Hope Homes (Atlanta, Ga.)
- John Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- King Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Kingsley Alley (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Kingstone Alley (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Leonard Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Martin Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Rhodes Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Slums -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Strong Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Terry Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Western Avenue (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Woodward Avenue (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Atlanta Housing Authority photographs
- Paul Crater
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.