Harriette Speer Parker photographs
Scope and Content
This collection contains photographs of scenes in Atlanta, Georgia, taken by Harriette Speer Parker and her father, Eustace Asbury Speer. Of special note are photographs of the Great Fire of Atlanta in 1917, the Festival of Old Atlanta in the late 1960s, and negatives of aerial photographs of downtown Atlanta. The photographs taken by Eustace Asbury Speer include images of the State Revenue Department personnel in 1927, Piedmont Park, and the Atlanta skyline. Also featured are family photographs, the Speer residence on West Peachtree Street, and photographs of Irma's sister, Harriett Twitty, and the Twitty residence on Washita Avenue.
- 1917-1970, undated
- Parker, Harriette Speer, 1923-2011 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Harriette Speer Parker (1923-2011) was born in Atlanta, Georgia, to Eustace Asbury Speer (1897-1967) and Imra Twitty Speer (1888-1970). Parker graduated Cum Laude from Girls High School in Atlanta and was a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the University of Georgia. She married Robert S. Parker (1931-2005) and she has two step-daughters: Elaine Vess and Shirley Cordell. Parker joined the public relations team at Delta Airlines in 1946 and retired in 1983. While there, she founded the Delta Archives (later the Delta Flight Museum). Parker was an active member of Pine Grove Baptist Church in Cartersville, Georgia, and the Etowah Valley Women's Connection.
137.0 image(s) (82 black and white photographic prints, 24 color slides, 20 black and white negatives, 11 color photographic prints)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements note
Some images in this collection are located in cold storage (CS) as indicated in the descriptive inventory. Patrons must allow 24 hours after retrieval of cold storage item(s) before viewing materials.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, 1968 with subsequent additions.
This collection was previously cataloged as DEL and SPR.
This collection was reprocessed in 2019.
- Aerial photography -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Aerial views -- 1940-1950
- Art festivals
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Aerial views
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
- Atlanta Art Association
- Atlanta Cyclorama & Civil War Museum.
- Atlanta Municipal Airport (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Butler Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Cycloramas -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Delta Air Lines
- Emory University
- Festivals -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Fires -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Georgia Institute of Technology
- Georgia State Capitol (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Georgia. Department of Revenue
- Great Fire, Atlanta, Ga., 1917
- Parker, Harriette Speer, 1923-2011
- Piedmont Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Ponce De Leon Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Speer, Eustace Asbury, 1897-1967
- Stone Mountain (Ga.)
- Universities and colleges -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Harriette Speer Parker photographs ahc.VIS353
- Finding aid prepared by Kate Daly and Jessica Doss
- March 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.