Skip to main content

Society for Georgia Archaeology Records

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS144

Scope and Contents of the Records

The collection is primarily correspondence pertaining to activities of the Society for Georgia Archaeology during the 1930s. James M. Mallory amassed much of the materials during his tenure as vice president for the Society. A significant portion of the correspondence relates to general administrative activities of the Society, however, there are several reports and surveys of archaeological sites throughout Georgia. Of special interest is the Fort Mountain folder, which includes correspondence from Ivan Allen detailing the stipulations of the gift to the state. In addition, the Moundville Park folder includes information pertaining to the National Park Service’s involvement in the facility and the contributions made by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the construction of the park infrastructure.

Dates

  • 1932-1938

Creator

Restrictions on Access

The collection is open for research.

Restrictions on Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative History of

The Society for Georgia Archaeology, initiated in the 1930s and reorganized in 1973, is a non-profit organization that promotes the identification, investigation, preservation, and protection of archaeological sites and resources throughout the state of Georgia. The Society’s mission “is to unite all persons interested in the archaeology of Georgia and to work actively to preserve, study, and interpret Georgia’s historic and prehistoric remains.” In an effort to fulfill their mission, the society strives to educate the public about the importance of the state’s archaeological sites, encourage professional guidance in the investigation, study, and interpretation of archaeological sites, and publish the results of scientific investigations. The bylaws require the Society to maintain six elected officers: President, a Vice-President, a Secretary-Treasurer, two Editors, and a Parliamentarian. The Board of Directors at the annual meeting elects all officers, and each serves a two-year term. In addition, the Board of Directors has the authority to form Committees at their discretion. Membership is open to any individual or institution that has an interest in archaeology and strives to fulfill the mission of the Society.

Extent

2.5 linear ft.

Language

English

Arrangement of the Papers

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.

Related Materials

Visual images from this collection are un-cataloged. See reference staff to make an appointment with an archivist for access. Please note there will be a delay to access any un-cataloged collection.

General Physical Description note

2.5 linear feet (six document cases)

Processing Information

Collection reprocessed in 2009.
Title
Society for Georgia Archaeology Records ahc.MSS 144
Subtitle
An Inventory of Their Records at the Kenan Research Center of the Atlanta History Center
Author
Inventory prepared by Melanie Stephan
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040