Skip to main content

Eugene R. Martini papers

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS148

Scope and Content

This collection contains chiefly correspondence, but also includes professional publications, seminar lectures and writings as well as family genealogy. Correspondence consists of letters and statements to residential clients, corporations, and government entities. Letters to local landscape architects, professional organizations, and family members are also included. Documents provide insight into Martini's work with site planning, subdivision planning, and career development. Personal letters offer details of Martini's involvement with the Northside Methodist Church, parent teacher associations, and investment opportunities.

Dates

  • 1780-1967, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

Eugene R. Martini (1915-1965) was born in Chicago, Illinois, to Friedrich Carl and Eugenia Wilhelmina Martini. He married Helen Elizabeth Brown (1906-1989) in 1938 and together had three children, Patricia, Claire, and Eugene Jr. Martini graduated from the University of Illinois in 1939 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree in landscape architecture. For two years, he served as an instructor of landscape architecture at Massachusetts State College (later the University of Massachusetts), where he also performed graduate work in statistics and public administration. From 1941-1946 he was a land planning consultant with the Federal Housing Administration in Chicago and Atlanta. In 1946, he opened his own landscape architecture and planning office in Atlanta under the name of Eugene R. Martini Associates Landscape Architects, later becoming Martini and Associates, Landscape Architects and Planning Consultants. Upon his death in 1965, Harry J. Baldwin, Martini's associate partner, assumed ownership. Two years later, in 1967, the firm was renamed Baldwin and Associates.

Administrative/Biographical History

Martini worked largely in Atlanta and the southeastern United States on a wide variety of project types, including subdivisions, public housing, shopping centers, schools, churches, mobile home parks, and land development projects. He was active in the profession, speaking at symposiums, universities, roundtable discussions, and garden clubs. He served on award juries and panels and contributed articles to a number of professional publications. Martini was a member of many organizations such as the American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA) and served in many leadership roles, including as president of the Southeast Chapter and as second vice-president of the national organization of ASLA. In 1962, House and Home magazine presented him with an Award of Merit for Designs for Outdoor Living for the Brittany residential development in DeKalb County, Georgia.

Extent

6.75 linear ft. (12 document cases and one oversize folder)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1973, with subsequent additions

Related Archival Materials

Eugene R. Martini landscape architectural drawings and photographs, VIS 202, Cherokee Garden Library, Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center

Description Control

This collection was reprocessed in 2016.
Title
Eugene R. Martini papers
Author
Jennie Oldfield
Date
December 2016
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040