Cotton States and International Exposition collection
Scope and Content
This collection is comprised primarily of materials created in preparation of and during the Cotton States and International Exposition of 1895. The bulk of the collection is programs and publications that detail daily events and highlight exposition participants. Of particular interest is a series of souvenirs collected by individuals that attended the exposition as well as postcards and a pass issued for an employee of the Atlanta Journal with his photograph affixed to one side. Also, included with the souvenirs are passes issued for special admission days such as Collier Day, Atlanta Day, and Directors and Womans Board Day.
- 1895-1896, undated
- Cotton States Exposition (1895 : Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Cotton States and International Exposition was an international event that took place on the Piedmont Exposition grounds, September 18-December 31, 1895. The Exposition was meant to foster trade between southern states and South American nations and to exhibit the resources of the region to the world. The Exposition was governed by a set of officers, directors, and committees that featured Atlanta banker and ex-mayor Charles A. Collier (1849-1900) as President and Director General. Exhibits showcased the latest technology in vital sectors of the American economy, while others focused on the accomplishments of women and blacks. An amusement park featuring rides and other popular attractions was also constructed for the event. Although most of the Exposition's buildings were destroyed after the event, the city of Atlanta eventually purchased the grounds, which became the present-day Piedmont Park.
0.63 linear ft. (1 document case and 1 half document case)
This collection processed in 2012.
- Advertising cards -- Georgia
- Amusement parks -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Atlanta (Ga.)
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Commerce
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.)
- Cotton States Exposition (1895 : Atlanta, Ga.)
- Cotton States Exposition (1895 : Atlanta, Ga.) -- Records and correspondence
- Parks -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Piedmont Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Postcards -- Georgia
- Cotton States and International Exposition collection
- Melanie Stephan
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.