Skip to main content

Atlanta Woman's Club records

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS353

Scope and Content

This collection is comprised of records that provide details on the history of the club. Included in the collection are yearbooks, scrapbooks, pressbooks, newspaper clippings, and programs pertaining to the club's social and civic activities. Of special interest are materials that provide details on the historic Wimbish House.

Dates

  • 1895-1986, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Atlanta Woman's Club, founded by Mrs. Rebecca Douglas Lowe in 1895, began with a mission "to maintain an organized social and civic center among the women of Atlanta, to unite their efforts and their mutual interests in the advancement of educational, cultural, health, civic, and philanthropic activities, and to provide a convenient and comfortable place for meetings, both business and social, of the club members and other civic-minded groups." The club continues to work towards the goal of improving the community socially, culturally, physically, and educationally, through civic volunteer work and fundraising. The club is a member of the Georgia Federation of Women's Clubs and the General Federation of Women's Clubs. The club is governed by elected officers such as president, vice president, and treasurer and is organized into a number of committees or divisions that offer various volunteer opportunities for members. The Wimbish House at 1150 Peachtree Street has been the club's headquarters since 1919 and it includes an auditorium (later known as Peachtree Playhouse) used for music, plays, and art programs. One of the club's most significant projects is the ongoing support of the Tallulah Falls School in North Georgia. The club has also supported other schools, local hospitals, and community outreach programs.

Extent

34.21 linear ft. (two and one half document cases and 21 oversize boxes)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1971, with subsequent additions

Description Control

The collection was reprocessed in 2016.
Title
Atlanta Woman's Club records
Author
Melanie Stephan and Jennie Oldfield
Date
April 2012
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040