Skip to main content

Georgia Power Company records

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS363

Scope and Content

This collection contains annual reports, Board of Directors' minutes, a property inventory, and notes on the Hatton Shoals development on the Tugaloo River. Also included are loose-leaf pages to the Georgia Power Company's Atlanta Transportation System series of franchises and ordinances, as well as booklets and manuals associated with the Transportation System and its employees. Annual reports cover the company's interests in the Railway, Electric, Gas, Steam Heat, and Operating Engineering departments (1925); the Railway departments (1926-1931); the Railway and Bus Transportation (1932-1935); and the Transportation department (1937). These reports were compiled under the direction of the Vice-President, F. L. Butler, and then by W. R. Pollard upon Butler's illness in 1937. These annual reports cover not only Atlanta, Georgia, but also developments in Augusta, Columbus, Athens, Rome, and Macon. There are reports, land deeds, and contracts with the Hatton Shoals Company about development of a dam there. The collection also includes an incomplete, multi-volume inventory of the Atlanta Gas Light Company's physical property in 1912. William A. Baehr, a consulting engineer from Chicago, compiled the inventory for the Georgia Railway and Power Company in March 1912. Also included are the Atlanta Transit System, Inc. Board of Directors' meeting minutes from 1957-1959 and 1965-1968. In addition, this collection contains booklets about Georgia Power Company, including one on its history and development, as well as a catalogue from the Beck & Gregg Hardware Company. Finally, this collection includes a report on the investigation of operating conditions of the Atlanta street railway system, within the pages of which is an FBI National Academy Association of Georgia event program and RSVP card.

Dates

  • 1903-1975, undated

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

The Georgia Power Company originated in 1883 as Georgia Electric Light Company of Atlanta, supplying electricity to the city. In 1891, Henry M. Atkinson acquired the company and shortened the name to the Georgia Electric Light Company. Joel Hurt founded the Atlanta and Edgewood Street Railway Company and, in 1891, he electrified and consolidated the six streetcar lines in Atlanta, Georgia, forming the Atlanta Consolidated Street Railway Company. In 1902, Atkinson bought out Hurt's interests and merged the companies to create the Georgia Railway and Electric Company. In 1903, the company acquired the Atlanta Gas Light Company from United Gas Improvement Company. In 1912, Atkinson combined the Morgan Falls hydro plant and the Georgia Railway and Electric Company into the Georgia Railway and Power Company. The company built a hydro plant at Hatton's Ford on the Tugaloo River, which straddles the Georgia-South Carolina border, as well as others on the Tallulah River. Southeastern Power and Light Company acquired the Georgia Railway and Electric Company in 1926, and during the consolidation, the Georgia Railway and Power Company changed its name to Georgia Power Company.

Extent

7.55 linear ft. (four document cases, one half document case, and four oversize boxes)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 1977 with subsequent additions in 1979 and 1998

Description Control

This collection was reprocessed in 2012.
Title
Georgia Power Company records
Status
Completed
Author
Laura Starratt
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040