League of Women Voters of Atlanta-Fulton County Records
Scope and Contents of the Records
Through correspondence, minutes, newspaper clippings, publications and printed material, the collection documents the activities the League of Women Voters of Atlanta-Fulton County and its relationships to national and state leagues, from 1917-1982. Subject files, the bulk of the collection, document the efforts of the group to promote political participation among the citizens of Atlanta and covers topics ranging from segregation to juvenile delinquency, as well as various city ordinances. Publications and printed material derive mainly from the national (“Action,” “The National Voter”), state (“The Pilgrim,” “Georgia Voter”), and city and county leagues (“Facts,” “Memo,” “The New Citizen,” “Newsletter,” and “Up-to-the-Minute”), but also includes conservative publications, such as “Human Events.”
- 1917 – 1982
- League of Women Voters of Atlanta/Fulton County (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
The collection is open for research.
Restrictions on Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The League of Women Voters of Atlanta- Fulton County, formerly the Atlanta League of Women Voters, is an affiliate of the national League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization rooted in the woman’s suffrage movement. Originally known as the Central Committee of Women Citizens, the Atlanta organization, Atlanta League of Women Voters, founded by Eleonore Raoul, predates the formation of the national League of Women Voters in 1920, and consisted of white middle-class women, including Raoul, who were active in local woman suffrage associations, among them the Equal Suffrage Party of Georgia, organized by Atlanta native Emily C. MacDougald. For decades the League of Women Voters of Atlanta –Fulton County has advocated for citizen participation in political activities and worked to shape public policy on a number of issues ranging from public education to the environment. In the 1920’s, the Atlanta League began publishing a monthly bulletin, “Facts,” which provided information pertaining to candidates, elections, issues, and voter registration. Among its other activities, the Atlanta League recommended merging city and county governments during the 1930s. Later, in 1956, the local League split when membership rules were passed that precluded restrictions based on race. In 1964, the name was changed to the League of Women Voters of Atlanta/Fulton County. In accordance with the general objectives of the national association, the Atlanta-Fulton branch continues to establish positions of public policy through membership consensus, to increase citizen participation in the election process, and to enhance citizen participation in government decisions at the local, state, and national level. The organization is comprised of a board of directors, committees, task forces, local units, as well as individual members, all of whom are encouraged to be politically active.
2.51 linear ft.
Arrangement of the Papers
This collection is arranged in alphabetical order first by subject files followed by publications and printed material.
Gift, League of Women Voters through Penny Raney, 1979 (1979.286)
General Physical Description note
Extent: 2.51 linear ft. (12 document cases)
Collection reprocessed in 2008
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Race relations
- Civil rights -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- League of Women Voters (U.S.)
- Political parties -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Schools -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Women -- Political activity -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Women -- Political activity -- Georgia -- Fulton County
- Women -- Suffrage -- Georgia
- LEAGUE OF WOMEN VOTERS OF ATLANTA-FULTON COUNTY RECORDS ahc.MSS 394
- An Inventory of Their Records at the Kenan Research Center of the Atlanta History Center
- Inventory prepared by Wesley Chenault
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.