Grady Memorial Hospital collection
Collection number: ahc.MSS429
Scope and Content
This collection consists of papers documenting the business administration of Grady Memorial Hospital, including early minute books from the hospital board of trustees, minute books of staff meetings, and correspondence from the medical staff. The collection also holds material from the School of Nursing and School of Practical Nursing, including bulletins, newsletters, alumni information, and lecture notes. As nursing education becomes more specialized, separate school specialties maintain files. Files contain information on bonds issued in 1940 to raise $4 million for the development of the Fulton DeKalb Hospital Authority.
- 1894-2014, undated
- Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Restrictions on Access
This collection is open for research.
Restrictions on Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
Grady Memorial Hospital, named after the editor of the Atlanta Constitution Henry Grady, opened in 1892 as a hospital for low-income families. In later years it broadened it's mandate to provide emergency care and other services to all, becoming one of the busiest Level I trauma centers in the country and the largest hospital in Georgia. Originally located on 36 Butler Street, the hospital changed locations three times, opening its fourth location on 80 Butler Street in 1954. Hospital operations were administered by the city of Atlanta until 1944, the Fulton/DeKalb Hospital Authority between 1945 and 2008, and the non-profit organization Grady Memorial Hospital Corporation after 2009. Grady has worked with student doctors at Atlanta Medical College (which became the the Emory University School of Medicine) and Morehouse School of Medicine. The hospital also operated in-house nursing schools from 1898 until 1982. Between 1912 and 1964 Grady was racially segregated, with separate nursing schools for whites and African Americans and a private hospital, called the Hughes Spalding Pavilion, for African American patients to be treated by African American physicians. The Grady Health System has expanded over the years to include many departments and clinics, including the Steiner Clinic, the Georgia Poison Center, the Georgia Comprehensive Sickle Center, and the Ponce De Leon HIV/AIDS Center, amongst others.
13.45 linear ft. (seven document cases, nine oversize boxes, and one oversize folder)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Gift, 1980, with subsequent additions
Collection re-processed in 2019.
- Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga,). Department of Nursing
- Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Grady Memorial Hospital (Atlanta, Ga.). School of Nursing
- Grady, Henry Woodfin, 1850-1889
- Hospitals -- Administration
- Hospitals -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Medical care -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Medicine -- Practice -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Nurses -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Nursing schools -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Grady Memorial Hospital collection
- Leah Lefkowitz
- September 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note