Skip to main content

Atlanta Baseball Corporation documents

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS1067

Scope and Content

Collection materials consist of business and legal records, including a 1933 lease, a 1947 certificate of residence change, meeting minutes, financial statements, correspondence, and memos.

Dates

  • 1932-1951

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

In 1932 the Coca-Cola Company and the Coca-Cola Bottling Company bought the Atlanta Crackers, a minor league baseball team, under the name the Atlanta Baseball Corporation (sometiems called the Atlanta Baseball and Amuseument Corporation). The Board of Directors included the president of the Coca-Cola Company Robert Woodruff, Robert T. (Bobby) Jones, Jr., his father Robert Purmedus Jones, and Hughes Spalding, a partner in Spalding, Sibley, Troutman, and Kelley. Despite financial struggles that included low ticket sales due to the Great Depression, poor previous management, the need to repair Spiller Field, the Corporation and the Crackers' president and general manager Earl Mann turned the team into a success once again, winning the Southern Association title in 1935 and 1938. In 1949 Coca-Cola sold the team to Mann.

Extent

0.25 linear ft. (half document case)

Language

English

System of Arrangement

This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 2014

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2015.
Title
Atlanta Baseball Corporation records
Author
Leah Lefkowitz
Date
September 2015
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040