Andrew Kohr records of the South Carolina Historic Landscape Initiative
Collection number: ahc.MSS1071
Scope and Content
This collection contains descriptive landscape surveys and accompanying research material such as correspondence, articles, maps, and garden sketches, which document the history and current condition of historic landscapes included in the project. Surveys included in the collection are from records maintained by landscape architect Andrew Kohr and are primarily from Charleston County, South Carolina. Many garden surveys are associated with a significant individual or house and provide social, cultural, and landscape history.
- Kohr, Andrew (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Garden Club of South Carolina, Inc. organized the South Carolina Historic Landscape Initiative, modeling it after the Georgia Historic Landscape Initiative, which began in 2002 under the direction of James Cothran, FASLA. As a sponsor of the project, the club works in conjunction with academic professionals at the College of Charleston; Clemson University; the South Carolina Department of Archives and History; and the University of Georgia, landscape architects, and other nonprofit preservationists. The mission of the project is to survey and document South Carolina's historic landscape resources which are at least 50 years old and have historical significance. Initially, gardens from the club's list of historic gardens, compiled in World War II, were contacted and surveyed, but subsequently other gardens have been added. These surveys provide valuable information for preservationists and researchers, and help identify which properties might be eligible for the National Register and the South Carolina Register of Historic Places. Landscape surveys are completed by volunteers from the Garden Club of South Carolina, Inc. and graduate students.
0.417 linear ft. (one document case)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically by county name.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2015.
- Garden Club of South Carolina
- Gardens -- Conservation and restoration -- South Carolina
- Historic American Landscapes Survey
- Historic Landscape Initiative (Project)
- Historic gardens -- Conservation and restoration -- South Carolina
- Historic preservation -- South Carolina
- Historic sites -- Conservation and restoration -- South Carolina
- Landscape architecture -- South Carolina
- Landscape gardening -- South Carolina -- History
- Andrew Kohr records of the South Carolina Historic Landscape Initiative
- Jennie Oldfield
- November 2015
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.