Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Scope and Content This collection documents the members of Cobb's Legion. Included are a roster of names from the last roll call of Cobb's Legion and requisition for forage forms from the Legion's time in Virginia.
Dates: 1863, 1865
Scope and Content The John C. Rutherford papers consist of a typescript, narrative biography of Rutherford written by his father, Williams Rutherford. The biography is followed by a resolution of the Macon Bar Association after John Rutherford’s premature death. Clearly written by a devoted father upset by his son’s death, the biography is hagiographic, emphasizing Rutherford’s many achievements, including his academic career, war service, and excellence in law practice. Williams Rutherford blames...
Scope and Content This collection consists of eight letters written by Marquis DeLafayette Pittman, signing himself as "Marc", between April and July of 1864. Most are addressed to "Lizzie" and all appear to be written to this same individual. In the letters Pittman describes the weather, visiting with his cousins, his concerns about the progress of the war, and his feelings for "Lizzie." In an apparent response to a letter he received from her urging him to return home in case the "Yanks get near" her, he...
Dates: 2 April 1864-11 July 1864
Scope and Contents This collection documents Oliver Hazard Perry Juhan's war service and family history. Included are letters that Juhan wrote to his family while fighting in the Confederate Army as well as his law license issued in 1839. The collection also contains genealogy and historical information about the Payzant and Juhan families. Of particular note is correspondence that documents Juhan's strategizing with General Robert E. Lee regarding the Battle of Antietam and the Battle at the Rapidan River in...
Scope and Content This collection contains correspondence, envelopes and financial and legal documents belonging primarily to members of the Underwood family of Franklin County, and later Lithonia, Georgia. Most of the correspondence was written by William and Alvin Underwood to their parents and siblings when the pair served in the Confederate Army from 1861-1864. William sent correspondence to his family telling of his unit’s fitness and preparation, his optimism about a short war, his difficulties in getting...
Dates: 1827-1951 (bulk 1861-1864)
- Names: Confederate States of America. Army. Cobb's Legion X
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 3
- Georgia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 2
- Antietam, Battle of, Md., 1862 1
- Camp Creek Greenway (Lilburn, Ga.) 1
- Confederate States of America -- History, Military 1
- Deeds -- Georgia 1
- Franklin County (Ga.) -- History 1
- Georgia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 1
- Invoices -- Georgia -- Lithonia 1
- Land titles -- Georgia 1
- Lawyers -- Georgia -- Macon 1
- Military history 1
- Peninsular Campaign, 1862 1
- Promissory notes -- Georgia -- Atlanta 1
- Promissory notes -- Georgia -- DeKalb County 1
- Schools -- Georgia -- Athens 1
- Seven Days' Battles, Va., 1862. 1
- Slaves -- Virginia -- Amherst County 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Participation, African American 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Personal narratives 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Registers 1
- Wills -- Virginia -- Amherst County 1 ∧ less
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 4th 1
- Juhan family 1
- Juhan, Oliver Hazard Perry, III, 1830-1864 1
- Key family 1
- Payzant family 1