Showing Collections: 1 - 20 of 57
Collection number: ahc.MSS661f
Scope and Content Handwritten dispatch from the United States 4th Army Corps to subordinate units giving instructions for handling supply trains as the army prepares to move for the Atlanta Campaign.
Collection number: ahc.MSS1136
Scope and Content This collection contains clippings, correspondence, notes, and scrapbooks that document Adelle B. Harper's life as well as members of her family. Material provides insight into Harper's flower shop business, club activities, family life, and her wide variety of interests. Scrapbooks offer details about Auverne Harper's enrollment in Woodberry Hall School for Girls in Atlanta and Shorter College in Rome, Georgia.
Dates: 1864-2017, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS645
Scope and Contents of the Records This is a collection of documents, most of which chronicle the history of the American Civil War, particularly the Atlanta Campaign. In addition, there are several documents which reflect the history of the Antebellum South, including African American slavery. The collection includes letters, diaries, special orders, pardons, requisitions, poems, pamphlets, newspapers, personal narratives, biographies, circulars, broadsides, muster rolls, currency, bibles, research papers, and other private...
Dates: 1832-1935, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS1103
Scope and Content This collection contains correspondence, newspapers, reports, and documents pertaining to the Atlanta Cyclorama and Civil War Museum, the history of the Atlanta Campaign of 1864, and the history of the Battle of Atlanta painting. Documents contained within this collection pertain to the maintenance and restoration of the painting as well as operation of the museum. These materials include correspondence between museum executives and conservators, office memos, research, narration scripts, and...
Dates: 1847-2013, undated; Majority of material found within 1963 - 2013
Collection number: ahc.VIS267
Scope and Content This collection contains photographs including parts of the painting depicting the Battle of Atlanta, portraits of generals, museum displays, creation and maintenance of the painting, and staff. Also included are photographs from Civil War reenactments and commemorations, museum events, the Cyclorama in Gettysburg, and Georgia landmarks such as Stone Mountain and the Old State Capitol in Milledgeville. Of special interest are maps of Civil War battles; a Cyclorama elevation plan; a Cyclorama...
Dates: 1884-2012, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS1024
Scope and Content This collection contains articles, certificates, correspondence, deeds, a ledger, military records, and school assignments. The majority of the records consist of deeds dated 1832-1887 of properties purchased by John Marshall Berry in Rome, Georgia. Included are deeds for one half of a commercial lot bought by Charles H. Smith, former mayor of Rome, Georgia, and one for 22 Bull Street in Savannah, Georgia. There is a merchant ledger dated 1864-1869 perhaps belonging to John Marshall Berry...
Dates: 1832-1965, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS1109
Scope and Content This collection contains documents that provide professional and personal details about Captain Francis and Elizabeth Edmondson and the Edmondson family. Material includes United States Navy correspondence and publications documenting Edmondson's navy career. Personal interests of Francis and Elizabeth are illustrated through Civil War history clippings, publications from civic organizations, and Cyclorama Restoration, Inc. correspondence. Also a part of the collection are Elizabeth Edmondson's...
Dates: 1878-2008, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS234f
Scope and Content This collection includes a typed transcription of a diary of Captain James Robert McMichael written while a prisoner-of-war. The collection also contains typed transcriptions of letters received while in prison at Fort Delaware, names of units of fellow prisoners, and their signatures, a poem by Captain Jas. R. McCallum of Knoxville, Tennessee; and a tally of Confederate officers sent from Fort Delaware on board the USS Crescent to Morris Island.
Collection number: ahc.CityofAtlanta
Scope and Content This collection consists of administrative records from the City of Atlanta, which have been divided into sixteen series. Records include materials pertaining to select mayors of Atlanta and correspondence and memos from the Executive Office. The collection also includes City Council and Board of Alderman legislation, minutes, and proceedings. Records also include material regarding transportation, public safety, finance, planning and community development, courts, public works, and maps. ...
Dates: 1848-2009, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS820f
Scope and Content This collection contains letters to and from Thomas Reade Rootes Cobb; his mother Sarah 'Birdie' Rootes Cobb; his wife Marion Cobb; and Marion's sister, Callie King (1826-1905). Thomas wrote about his children, his travels throughout the southern states, and the Civil War, as well as poems to his wife. Sarah, Marion, and Callie wrote about their families and home life. Included with some of the letters are photocopies and typed or handwritten transcripts. The collection also contains one...
Dates: 1843-1890, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS538f
Scope and Content This collection consists of the muster roll of Company B, 3rd Regiment, Georgia Volunteer Infantry. It contains information on the members of Company B from April 26, 1862 to April 9, 1865. The muster roll gives a brief biography on the senior officers and basic information about the enlisted men. The captains were Reubeau B. Nisbet and John S. Reid. The 1st lieutenants were William W. Turner and William T. Reid. The 2nd lieutenants were William O'Brian; Robert A. Dennis; Reubin DeJanett; and...
Collection number: ahc.MSS109
Scope and Content The collection includes five bound volumes of Cornelius Hanleiter’s war diary from 1861 – 1865, along with correspondence, including a letter from Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens. The collection also contains sketches of Hanleiter’s outpost in Savannah, and other documents relating to his service in the Army of the Confederacy. Also included are newspaper clippings pertaining to the careers of C.R. Hanleiter, Lemuel P. Grant, Colonel Tom Harvard, Anton L. Kontz, and Jonathan...
Dates: 1825-1944, undated, (bulk 1861-1865)
Collection number: ahc.MSS390f
Scope and Content This collection contains three letters from the Cox family. Two letters were written by O.W. Cox and Helen Cox to William Markham and Sarah Bartlett, in 1848 and 1849, respectively. In one document permission is granted to Thomas H. Cox and Andrew Moore to practice law in Georgia. The third letter was written by Kitte M. Cox and send to a cousin. In addition, the collection contains a typescript of a letter to Thomas Cox from this father Colonel Oliver Cox. The letter contains genealogical...
Collection number: ahc.MSS635f
Scope and Content This collection contains a proclamation signed by Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young "in commemoration of the 120th anniversary of the Battle of Atlanta." It considers the history of Atlanta's emergence from the Civil War.
Dates: 1984 July 22
Collection number: ahc.MSS78
Scope and Content The majority of this collection consists of correspondence between John and Julia Davidson before and during the Civil War. The letters capture a sense of their courtship prior to their wedding in 1855, as well as the physical and spiritual challenges John faced as a soldier in the Confederate Army and those Julia endured in the besieged city of Atlanta. The collection contains several letters written by John Davidson to Julia’s parents who lived in Atlanta and were the proprietors of...
Dates: 1851-1970, bulk 1861-1865
Collection number: ahc.MSS1020
Scope and Content This collection contains primarily the personal and professional papers of Beverly Means DuBose, Jr. The bulk of the personal papers document DuBose's military service in the United States Navy. There is an assortment of training materials and periodicals issued by a variety of military agencies. Also included in this series are a few presentations given by DuBose and materials pertaining to the anti-communism movement in the United States in the early 1960s. The professional papers...
Dates: 1802-1985, undated
Collection number: ahc.MSS802f
Scope and Content This collection contains a series of 24 handwritten narratives by Edom T. Moon, which document the exploits of the 35th Georgia Infantry Regiment in the Civil War. These narratives, which Moon titles "letters," were written sometime between the war's end in 1865 and his death in 1908. Of note is the description of the Battle of Gettysburg in letter 13; the narration of the death and burial of Stonewall Jackson in letter 11; and a copy of the lyrics to the song, "Stonewall Jackson's Way," at...
Dates: 1865-1908, 2000
Collection number: ahc.MSS1107
Scope and Content Eliza Jones accumulated this collection to document the genealogy of her extended families as well that of her husband, Waldo Jones. Materials include correspondence that documents her daily life and views, financial records, scrapbooks, newspaper clippings, and diaries. The collection also contains papers from her and Waldo Jones's extended family. Families represented include the Woolford, Grant, Slaton, Harris, Fitz-Randolph, Martin, Waldo, Winslow, Felder, and Jackson families.
Dates: 1789-1992, undated; Majority of material found within 1860 - 1970
Collection number: ahc.MSS814f
Scope and Content This collection contains Emily Jane Winkler Bealer's diary in which she reflects on domestic life as an impoverished widow during Reconstruction in Atlanta. Topics include raising and educating her children, financial and business affairs, and social and church life. The collection also includes a typed transcript and biographical notes written by Bealer's great-granddaughter, Emily Bealer Calhoun II. These notes contain research on people and businesses referenced in the diary.
Dates: 1876-1886, approximately 1975
Collection number: ahc.MSS277f
Scope and Content This collection consists of two booklets entitled "Stories of the War" and "Reminiscences of the War." In these documents Prescott wrote about "yankees" torturing a man in order to discover where his money was hidden; and how her husband was called to war in 1862 and later how he faced down thirty armed deserters who planned to kill him. She also writes about how she hid valuables from "yankee" raids; an occasion when the "yankees" broke into her home and threatened her at gunpoint; the places...
- Subject: Georgia -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 X
- Atlanta Cyclorama (Atlanta, Ga.) 7
- Sherman, William T. (William Tecumseh), 1820-1891 4
- Atlanta Cyclorama & Civil War Museum. 3
- Kurtz, Wilbur G. (Wilbur George), 1882-1967 3
- Lee, Robert E., (Robert Edward), 1807-1870 3
- Atlanta (Ga.). Department of Parks and Recreation 2
- Atlanta Historical Society 2
- Cobb family 2
- Confederate States of America. Army. Cobb's Legion 2
- Davis, Jefferson, 1808-1889 2
- DeGress, Francis, 1840-1883 2
- DuBose, Beverly M., 1918-1986 2
- Georgia. Militia 2
- Grant family 2
- Grant, Sallie Fannie (Sarah Frances Reid), 1839-1920 2
- Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885 2
- Grant, William Daniel, 1837-1901 2
- Kurtz, Annie Rachel Pye, 1895-1985 2
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865 2
- Sons of Confederate Veterans (Organization) 2
- Williams family 2
- Williams, James Etheldred 2
- Allen, Ivan, 1911-2003 1
- Andervount, Jacob 1
- Atlanta (Ga.) 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Board of Aldermen 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Board of Education 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Board of Health 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Bureau of Buildings 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Bureau of Planning 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). City Council 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). City Executive Committee 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Fire Department 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Police Department 1
- Atlanta (Ga.). Traffic Engineering Department 1
- Atlanta Art Association 1
- Atlanta Braves (Baseball team) 1
- Atlanta Chamber of Commerce 1
- Atlanta Civic Center (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Community Relations Commission 1
- Atlanta Economic Development Corporation 1
- Atlanta Falcons (Football team) 1
- Atlanta High School (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Housing Authority 1
- Atlanta Public Library. Ida Williams Branch 1
- Atlanta Regional Commission 1
- Atlanta Transit System, Inc. 1
- Atlanta Urban Design Commission (Ga.) 1
- Atlanta Water Works (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Baptist Banner (Newspaper) 1
- Barnes, L.H. 1
- Bealer, Emily Jane Winkler, 1833-1908 1
- Bell, Madison 1
- Bellingrath family 1
- Berry College 1
- Berry family 1
- Berry, Henry R. 1
- Berry, John Marshall, 1835-1883 1
- Berry, John Marshall, 1872-1956 1
- Berry, Mary McChesney 1
- Berry, Varina 1
- Brady, Auverne Harper, 1908-2010 1
- Brandon, H. L. 1
- Burton, James Henry 1
- Butler, Reese Helm, 1833-1886 1
- Calhoun, Emily Bealer 1
- Calhoun, Martha 1
- Carr, Robert 1
- Carr, Virginia 1
- Carter, Laura E. 1
- Carter, Mary A. 1
- Carty, Rico 1
- Chapman, May Frank 1
- Citizens Advisory Committee for Urban Renewal (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Civil War Centennial Commission of Illinois 1
- Civil War Round Table, Atlanta 1
- Cobb, Howell 1
- Cobb, Thomas Read Rootes, 1823-1862 1
- Coca-Cola Company 1
- Collier, Charles A. 1
- Collins, Ellis 1
- Colonial Flower Shop (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Community Planning Council, Inc. (Atlanta, Ga.) 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Alabama Infantry Regiment, 45th. Company C 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Cavalry Battalion (30th) 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Cavalry Regiment, 1st. 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 19th. Company C 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 1st (1861-1865) 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 35th. Company G 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 38th. Company C 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 3rd. Company B 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 4th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 6th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Infantry Regiment, 7th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Volunteers, 14th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Georgia Volunteers, 63rd 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. North Carolina Infantry Regiment, 39th 1
- Confederate States of America. Army. Sharpshooter Battalion, 4th 1
- Confederate States of America. Ordnance Bureau 1
- Connors, Lillian Lochrane, 1873-1964 1 ∧ less