Tulip Study Club records
Scope and Content
This collection contains correspondence, financial reports, and clippings that document the history of the social and civic activities of the club. Also a part of the collection are tulip show programs and clippings. Much of the material pertains to Marie Nicholson, club president from 1938 to 1948. A scrapbook from the Atlanta Tulip Show Association, in which many club members also served, provides more details of the Atlanta Tulip Show of 1946.
- 1938-1987, undated
- Tulip Study Club (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.
The Tulip Study Club of Atlanta, Georgia, was organized by Marie S. Nicholson (1894-1975) in 1938 to foster "the study, culture and promotion of interest in the tulip bulb and flower." The club was governed by a board of elected officers including president, two vice-presidents, and secretaries. The club sponsored an annual tulip show beginning in 1939 held at Rich's Inc. Department Store. In 1945 bulb growers in Holland donated 45,000 tulip bulbs to the club, which were planted in Hurt Park for the subsequent tulip shows. In 1946, the club worked with the Atlanta Tulip Show Association to sponsor an expanded tulip show held in the City Auditorium and Hurt Park. The club provided continued support and donated proceeds from the shows to Our Lady of Perpetual Help Free Cancer Home. In 1951, the club along with the Atlanta Tulip Show Association hosted the first Atlanta Tulip Festival to coincide with the annual tulip show. The festival included traditional Dutch dancing, a large windmill installed in Hurt Park, tulip exhibits, and the planting of over 25,000 tulips. A tulip queen was crowed annually and visitors from as far away as the Netherlands attended. The club continued to receive large donations of tulip bulbs, which they planted at various locations around Atlanta, including Egleston Memorial Hospital, Hillside Cottages, Sarah Smith Elementary School, Grant Park, and the State Capitol grounds. In 1963, the club won the Horticulture Achievement Award from The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. as well as a recognition of 25 years of distinguished service from the National Council of State Garden Clubs, Inc.
1.83 linear ft. (one document case and one oversize box)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged alphabetically according to titles supplied by staff.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, 1990, with a subsequent addition
This collection was reprocessed in 2013.
- Atlanta Tulip Flower Show Association
- Flower shows -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Gardening -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Gardening -- Societies, etc.
- Joel Hurt Memorial Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Nicholson, Marie S.
- Our Lady of Perpetual Help Home (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Tulip Study Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Women -- Georgia -- Societies and clubs
- Tulip Study Club records
- Jennie Oldfield
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.