Skip to main content

Deer Park Garden ephemera

 Collection
Identifier: ahc.MSS832f

Scope and Content

This collection contains items that describe the garden as well as some biographical information about William H. Davidson. Material includes a garden pamphlet written by Davidson for a home and garden tour given by the Alabama Georgia Hospital Auxiliary. Also, a newspaper clipping and letter by Davidson detail the garden and its development.

Dates

  • 1972

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use

Unpublished manuscripts are protected by copyright. All requests to publish, quote, or reproduce must be submitted through the Kenan Research Center.

Administrative/Biographical History

Deer Park Garden, West Point, Georgia, was created by historian and author, William Hutchinson Davidson (1913-2006), with help from his brothers, Robert Calvin Davidson, Jr. (1906-1991) and Lee Stripling Davidson (1923-2006). William, a native of West Point, was a charter member of the Chattahoochee Valley Historical Society and author of several historical publications about the area such as Pine Log and Greek Revival. After purchasing land for the garden in 1967, the Davidsons began removing debris and repurposing rocks and bricks based on a garden plan created by William. In 1972, the Alabama Georgia Hospital Auxiliary organized a homes and gardens tour which included Deer Park Garden. The garden included ornaments, a gazebo, benches, and iron fencing. Many of the features were of historical significance to West Point.

Extent

1 folder(s)

Language

English

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift, 2016

Description Control

This collection was processed in 2019.
Title
Deer Park Garden ephemera
Author
Jennie Oldfield
Date
January 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Language of description note
Finding aid is written in English.

Repository Details

Part of the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center Repository

Contact:
130 West Paces Ferry Road
Atlanta GA 30305
404-814-4040