Philip T. Shutze visual arts materials
Scope and Content
This collection contains architectural drawings, sketches, artwork, and photos of Shutze's professional work, his travels, his personal life, and his antiques. The architectural drawings are from the firms of Norrman, Hentz & Reid; Hentz & Reid; Hentz, Reid & Adler; Hentz, Adler & Shutze; and Shutze & Armistead, as well as drawings representing historic buildings designed by other architects and firms. Among his most well known buildings are Swan House owned by Edward and Emily Inman; the Goodrum House owned by May Patterson Goodrum-Abreu; the Academy of Medicine; Citizens and Southern National Bank; and The Temple, originally founded as the Hebrew Benevolent Congregation. The collection also contains sketches drawn by Shutze and artwork that he collected throughout his life, including pieces by Athos Menaboni and Allyn Cox. The photographs represent many of the buildings from his architectural career, his travels in Italy and England, his life in Atlanta, and the antiques he collected.
- 1820-1993, undated
- Hentz and Reid (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Reproduction and Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Philip Trammell Shutze (1890-1982) was born in Columbus, Georgia, to Sarah Lee (nee Erwin) (1865-1919) and Philip Trammell Shutze (1861-1900). He had two sisters, Harriet Campbell Shutze (1889-1890) and Fay Shutze Cates (1887-1969). After his father died, his mother moved the family to Atlanta and then to West Point, Georgia. Shutze graduated from West Point High School as valedictorian in 1908 and earned a Bachelor of Science degree in architecture in 1912 from the Georgia School of Technology. Shutze worked as a draftsman for the Atlanta-based architectural firm, Hentz & Reid. In 1913, he continued his education by earning a Bachelor of Architecture degree from Columbia University.
Shutze returned to Atlanta and rejoined the architectural firm Hentz, Reid & Adler, while also teaching at Georgia School of Technology. Shutze was awarded the Prix de Rome for architecture and studied at the American Academy in Rome from 1915-1920. Among the other Fellows participating in the academy were landscape architect, Edward Lawson, and artist, Allyn Cox. His studies were interrupted in 1918 during World War I and in 1919 when his mother died.
Upon his return to the United States, Shutze worked with other architectural firms, including F. Burrall Hoffman, Jr. and Matt Schmidt of New York. He rejoined Hentz, Reid & Adler where he became a partner in 1927 after Reid's death. The firm's name became Hentz, Adler & Shutze. Hentz retired in 1944 and William Armistead became a partner. The firm was then known as Shutze, Armistead & Adler until Adler's death one year later. The partnership of Shutze & Armistead continued until 1950. Although Shutze officially retired in 1958, he held an architectural license until 1980.
Shutze was also interested in interior design, collecting antiques, and raising camellias. Along with the architectural designs for his clients, he also provided advice on furnishings and decor. His personal collection of antiques included porcelain, silver, furniture, and artwork. Shutze died in October 1982 in Atlanta, Georgia.
19866.0 item(s) (8,168 architectural drawings, 307 drawings, 9,333 photographs, and 2,058 postcards)
System of Arrangement
This collection is arranged into seven series. Series I: Architectural drawings; Series II: Drawings and sketches; Series III: Works on paper; Series IV: Architectural photographs; Series V: Personal photographs; Series VI: Antiques; Series VII: Photo albums and scrapbooks.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift, 1976, with subsequent additions
This collection was reprocessed in 2020.
- Adler, Rudolph Satorius
- American Institute of Architects
- Ansley Park (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Architect-designed houses
- Architects -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Architectural drawing -- Georgia
- Architecture, Domestic -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Architecture, Domestic -- Southern States
- Atlanta (Ga.) -- Buildings, structures, etc.
- Atlanta Historical Society
- Botanical illustration
- Buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Catesby, Mark, 1683-1749
- Commercial buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Decoration and ornament -- Plant forms
- Department stores -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Druid Hills (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Emory University
- Flowers in art
- Fratelli Alinari
- Fulton County (Ga.)
- Hentz, Adler, and Shutze (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Hentz, Hal, 1883-1972
- Historic buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Hospitals -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Houses -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Interior architecture
- Interior decoration
- Interiors -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Menaboni, Athos, 1895-1990
- Nature in art
- Office buildings -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Postcards -- Southern States
- Reid, J. Neel (Joseph Neel), 1885-1926
- Rich's (Retail store)
- Schools -- Georgia -- Hapeville
- Scrapbooks -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Scrapbooks -- Italy
- Shutze, Philip Trammell
- Southern Bell Telephone and Telegraph Company
- Stores, Retail -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Swan House (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Synagogues -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Tebbs & Knell (New York, N.Y.)
- Temple (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Theaters -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Thornton House (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Philip T. Shutze visual arts materials ahc.VIS351
- Finding aid prepared by Louanne Heintz
- March 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- Finding aid is written in English.