Ivy Garden Club photographs
Scope and Contents
This collection contains photographs that document the social and civic activities of the club. Photographs include unidentified members attending social and civic events, field trips, and garden tours. Of special interest are images of historic homes and an unidentified cemetery in Georgia.
- 1985-1986, undated
- Ivy Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S. Code) Permission for use must be cleared through the Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Biographical / Historical
The Ivy Garden Club of Atlanta, Georgia, was organized in 1939 with the purpose of "stimulating knowledge and love of gardening; protection of trees, plants and birds; and encouragement of civic planting." In 1947, the club began its first significant community project of beautifying the grounds of the Wren's Nest (residence of Joel Chandler Harris), in Atlanta. The club has supported numerous projects such as maintaining the Tullie Smith Herb Garden at the Atlanta History Center. In 1984, club members produced a booklet titled A Guide to the Tullie Smith House Herb Garden. Other organizations that the club has supported include the Cherokee Garden Library at the Atlanta History Center, the Peachtree Branch of the Atlanta Public Library (now the Atlanta-Fulton County Public Library System), the Egleston Children's Hospital, and Trees Atlanta. The club is an active member of The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. and also participates in local and regional flower shows.
28 color photographic print(s)
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was processed in 2020.
- Cemeteries -- Georgia
- Gardening -- Georgia -- Atlanta -- Societies, etc.
- Gardens -- Georgia -- Atlanta
- Historic buildings -- Georgia
- Historic gardens -- Georgia
- Historic sites -- Georgia
- Ivy Garden Club (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Landscape architecture -- Georgia
- Women gardeners -- Georgia
- Women--Georgia--Atlanta--Societies and clubs
- Wren's Nest (Atlanta, Ga.)
- Ivy Garden Club photographs
- Jennie Oldfield
- October 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note